Hailing AK Chappy. AK Questions! :D

eeboater

Commander
Hey AK,<br /><br />I am going to be visiting my family this weekend. We are going to be planning our trip up to AK. My stepmom said that my wife and I need to choose a direction, North or South. We are going to spend the week either N or S of Anchorage. Then, when the week is up, they are going to drop us off at the Airport and spend the rest of their vacation at the other end of Anchorage. <br /><br />What I'm wondering is what direction do you think is best, and, what kind of "touristy" stuff is in that direction? Keep in mind, we won't be doing any fishing related activities :D <br /><br />Thanks,<br />Sean

AK_Chappy

Lieutenant
Re: Hailing AK Chappy. AK Questions! :D

I would suggest North then. <br />Touristy stuff,,,hmmmm. Denali National Park is a must see. Take the bus trip in. Southern viewpoint, and Northern viewpoint of Denali. The Igloo is a popular stop. Esther gold mine just outside of Fairbanks. They have a dinner and show that they put on. I think, in Fairbanks, there is a place called AlaskaLand. It is almost like a small fair. North Pole, AK. Santa Claus land. Down to GlennAllen, a beautiful drive. Take a side trip to Valdez, AK. You will go through Thompson Pass, this is where they hold the AK Extreme Ski events. Back up to GlennAllen and towards Anchorage. Stop at Eureka Lodge and enjoy the views. Back in Palmer, take the Palmer-Fishhook road to Independence Mine State Park.<br /><br />That should get you started. :) <br /><br />AK Chappy

jimalsk

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I agree with Chappy. Stop at Eureka Lodge for the pie, best there is. Also stop at Sheep Mnt. Lodge for eats. Good food and good prices. You may even want to stay the night in one of the cabins there. There is just way to many things to do and see if you go the Northern route. Go south and you go to Kenai, Seward or Homer. We do have a sea life center in Seward, kind of spendy but it's worth it. Lots of tourist on the Kenai Peninsula.

AK_Chappy

Lieutenant

Thanks for the help arr.<br />I can point to lots of stuff to do, if it has to do with ATV's, Snowmachines, hunting, or fishing. Unfortunately, I don't really get into the "touristy" things. I get more personal enjoyment out of watching a sunset reflecting off of Denali and learning where "purple mountain's majesty" came from then going into a shop and looking at knick-knacks.<br /><br />I forgot to mention, you have to go to Alaska Wild Berry Chocolate factory while in Anchorage. They have a chocolate river!<br /><br />AK Chappy