Ha-ha-ha… sorry-[butted] drunk passengers?

inthesticksnow

Petty Officer 3rd Class
Ever have someone on board who drove you nuts, and ruined your whole day?<br /><br />We are on the Illinois River, (between the Mississippi and Lake Michigan). There is plenty or recreation, but this is after all a commercial waterway! There are some serious barges… just estimating here, but sometimes there are 9 of them strapped together, three wide, three long, maybe 300’ long with a HUGE tugboat sort of thing pushing them either up or down stream. These tugboat things are massively powerful, and have screws not only in the rear, but on the port and starboard sides as well. The turbulence these things create is incredible.<br /><br />We have an 18’ runabout, the wife and I with 18 hours boating experience, and a drunk “buddy” with 600 hours of drunken boating experience under his belt, who his yelling to everyone and anyone who can hear him, “It’s cocktail hour”! <br /><br />600 hours of boating experience, and this guy wanted me to dock along side the tugboat, so he can jump on board, and talk with the crew!<br /><br />Because I wouldn’t get within 100 yards of this thing, my “buddy” gets all[ticked]off, and from that moment on he didn’t stop insulting us for the rest of the day/evening. We were trapped with a monster on board, who had his own alcohol who wouldn’t slow down.<br /><br />He was a friend that we see maybe 2 – 3 times a year, usually with his wife, but this time he was by himself spending the weekend with us, so I couldn’t throw him off the boat! OH! I wanted to! SO BAD! But I couldn’t…<br /><br />Help me here! I’m sure there are worst stories, right??? <large grin>

moderator1

Lieutenant Commander
Re: Ha-ha-ha… sorry-[butted] drunk passengers?

Moving to dock chat and would be nice if you kept the wording a bit cleaner......

inthesticksnow

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Originally posted by moderator1:<br /> Moving to dock chat and would be nice if you kept the wording a bit cleaner......
Sorry, meant no offense... [changed].

roscoe

Supreme Mariner

""so I couldn’t throw him off the boat!""<br /><br />Says who? <br />I would have tossed him on the nearest bank.<br />Perhaps lure him ashore under the guise of bladder relief, then shove off without him. YOU are the captain of your boat.<br /><br />End a friendship? Maybe, but his conduct was inexcusable.<br /><br /><br />Have any of those giant carp fly into your boat?

inthesticksnow

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Now, now, now, Roscoe, I tried to explain without taking a page why he wasn’t thrown off the boat.<br /><br />>>> End a friendship? Maybe, but his conduct was inexcusable.<br /><br />This is in fact what has happened… the end of a friendship, over this specific day and over this specific inexcusable circumstance. I am agreeing with you 100% on that point!<br /><br />>>> Have any of those giant carp fly into your boat?<br /><br />I’m thinking this is sarcastic, but I really don’t get it. What are you talking about?

roscoe

Supreme Mariner

No, serious on the carp question.<br />There are supposed to be some huge carp migrating up the Illinois River. They are an invasive species that threatens to wipe out the Great Lakes fisheries if they get thru Chicago into Lake Michigan.<br /><br />They get all riled up from the sound of motor boats and jump straight up out of the water. If you are moving at speed and hit one, you will know it. DNR worker was knocked down and injured by one. They are the big-head carp and the silver carp.<br /><br />Here are links to some of the news articles.<br /><br /> http://www.greatlakesdirectory.org/oh/102903_great_lakes.htm <br /><br /><br /> http://www.freep.com/sports/outdoors/carp6_20031106.htm <br /><br /><br /> http://www.jsonline.com/news/state/jul02/58344.asp

inthesticksnow

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Roscoe,<br /><br />OMG. Reading your links, I had no idea! I had heard something on the radio about this, but no, to answer your question, I have not had giant fish fly up nor have I seen anything like that so far this year. <br /><br />I thought that when I stopped motorcycling and got the boat, I’d not have to watch for dear running out in front of me at dusk while winding down the road. <br /><br />I’m wondering, which is the greater way to go… hitting a dear on the motorcycle, or getting hit by a 100-pound 4-foot carp at 45 MPH while on your boat?<br /><br /><smile>

OBJ

Supreme Mariner

You did the right thing snow....staying clear of the tow. Here on the Ohio, I've seen them 4 abreast and 4 & 5 deep. Those things are nothing to mess with. Stay well clear of them. <br /><br />As for the drunken "buddy"......those types of "buddies" you don't need.

NYMINUTE

Captain

It is there last invite when they drive me nuts

jtexas

Fleet Admiral

Can't throw 'im out? <br /><br />What, no PFD's?<br /><br /> :D :D :D

inthesticksnow

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Originally posted by NYMINUTE:<br /> It is there last invite when they drive me nuts
Well in this case, unfortunately, it’s beyond that now. If, for some reason he tried to communicate or apologize, I’m going to tell him to get back to me after Step Nine… seriously!