GW's Acceptance Speech

OBJ

Supreme Mariner
OK....so OBJ don't do political stuff. But just curious...what did you all think of GW's speech? I listened to the whole thing....start to finish. I'm still gonna vote for GW...but the speech was a little bit of a let down in some areas. Watcha' think??<br /><br />EDIT: Just to make sure....I ain't lookin' to start a troll or invite heated debates...just wanna know honest opinions.

LadyFish

Admiral
Re: GW's Acceptance Speech

OBJ, I agree with your assessment through the first half. No surprises there, and not near enough emotion. <br /><br />However, throughout the second half, when he spoke from his heart and teared up, he delivered with the conviction and strength I expect from him, I truly was inspired. I am more confident now than ever before, that he's the right man for the job.<br /><br />The President did something that I found appealing: He showed that he has values and that he is indeed, one of us. He joked, laid things out, showed contrast with his opponent, and paid homage to his family and God.<br /><br />He said that he has an agenda and that he will lay it out and we know where he stands. No flip-flopping, no second guessing. We may not agree all the time, but he is a straight shooter.

LubeDude

Admiral

I agree with Ladyfish, I like a person to show some emotion, Like Zell Miller, but GW is a strong man and has the convictions I admire, Definatly my choice for another four years. And not just because he is a Republican, because he is the best man for the job.

Boomyal

Supreme Mariner

Yeah, OBJ, at the end I said to my wife, "kinda closed like an inaguration speech" Let's hope it was prophetic. :D <br /><br />Seriously, all in all it was a very good speech. A lot of it was repetitive but I hope that a lot of people who haven't paid much attention, like some of us do, were watching. It would have made a very good impression. Above all, it showed that GW is not a 'fantastic plastic banana'!

Ralph 123

Captain

I agree with LF. All he needed to do was show his sincerity and he did that in spades. Nobody with any intellectual honesty can doubt this man will do everything in his power to keep this country safe and IMHO that is all that counts right now.<br /><br />The convention did a great job reminding the country what's at stake and what we've been through. In a way, his success hurt him because memories of 911 faded. It also did a fantastic job of taking the mask off Flipper and the Ambulance chaser Edwards.<br /><br />The most astute political analysis I've seen over the last few weeks were these: 1) The damage of the SwiftVets was like the Titanic. It was below the waterline and would eventually sink the ship and 2) Pollsters are quietly saying that people are lying to pollsters because they were "ashamed" to admit they were voting for Bush but on election day, when they pulled the lever, Bush would win. Now that he has a good convention some of those people may start reflecting their true views.

tylerin

Commander

He's never been known for his great speaches but "you know where he stands". He seemed to be speaking more from the heart towards the end. I even thought I saw him jerk a tear. JMO

hayhauler

Petty Officer 2nd Class

No, GW's not the greatest public speaker that ever graced a podium, certainly no Ronald Reagan, but I think he's better at that than Kerry too. Perhaps that's because I don't believe anything Kerry says anyway, and the parts I might be tempted to believe just tell me he hasn't got a clue.

JB

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

I was very glad to hear a clear agenda for domestic legislation. . . .where we are going. . .and I liked most of what I heard.<br /><br />The rest merely summarized and emphasized what we have been hearing all week about foreign policy, Iraq and terrorism.<br /><br />I give him a B+

hayhauler

Petty Officer 2nd Class

One thing he did bring up that was not "same old stuff" and I hope he can do, he said he would seek to simplify the tax code and make it fair. Fair tax, flat tax, something, the way we're taxed needs to be completeley changed.

SCO

Lieutenant

A perfectly good speech. I heard a caller on a radio program complain that he didn't ask for our vote. That's a complaint? All he needs to do in my book is be who he is and tell what he will do.

kenimpzoom

Rear Admiral

"The whole Republican convention was so mean and angry. What a bunch of bullies."<br /><br />That is how the dems are trying to characterize Republicans. I know a lot of people that are buying that BS.<br /><br />Ken

Ralph 123

Captain

SCO - among his first words were "I ask you to stand with me" <br /><br />Libs always conside the truth "mean and angry"

Skinnywater

Commander

Once bitten twice shy.<br /><br />Unlike past Presidents I don't doubt GW's sincerity, honesty or convictions. I think he'd even be a great guy to pal around with.<br /><br />My strongest belief in him was when he was talking tough. Words like "your either with us or against us", "we will leave no stone unturned in bringing the terrorists to justice", etc., etc.. I believe in the Bush Doctrine and I believe in the concept of our involvement in Iraq.<br /><br />The problem I have with him is his competence.<br />Here is where our actions fall way short of our tough talk.<br />We gallantly land in Afghanistan and immediately start throwing money at local thugs and war lords to do our fighting for us. Very possibly, this policy allowed Bin Laden to remain free today.<br />We admirably landed in Iraq with flawed intelligence. We proceeded in a brilliant invasion. However, almost concurrently with GW's landing on the carrier, several miscalculations, both militarily and politically unfolded.<br />We stood down into a defensive posture. Allowed borders to be penetrated and allowed the masses to remain armed.<br />Obviously conducting a "politically correct" war. This stall and deviation of goals and objectives clearly opened the door for domestic dissention. It also caused the months long and yet to be resolved problem with Alsadr and others like him.<br />And another valid point relative to these mistakes. I honestly believe that there were and still is WMD's. But the sobering fact is we HAVE NOT secured them. <br /><br />Sobering still is all the tough talk that is again being challenged. Tough talk that was directed at known terrorist states. Tough talk that is once again recognized by our enemies as being words from a paper dragon. The tough talk from GW while being slapped in the face by Iran, sickens me. All the sincerity, good intentions and tough talk are worthless, if as the commander in chief, through your incompetence has allowed this country to loose it's will to fight a war and win it.<br /><br />Iran and N.Korea can build WMD's, flaunt it and shake it in our face. Saddam's WMD's can stay buried in the sands of Syria until they can be used in a terrorist attack.<br />All the while half of this country cries about war actually causing death and the other half relying on tough talk and half action.<br /><br />Still I'll prove I'm not close minded or bitter. I can recognize the distinction between the really horrible and the merely incompetent. The difference between a total idiot (Kerry)and a person (Bush) who maybe is on a learning curve.<br /><br />Hopefully, miraculously, Bush can pull us out by learning from his past mistakes. I'll vote for him only on faith. But until he starts walking his talk we will continue to lose this war.

Ralph 123

Captain

I see it differently. As Erwin Rommel, one of the greatest generals of modern times said, "No plan survives contact"<br /><br />When and if I hear that advice from the military commanders in the field and in charge was ignored then I'll lay blame at Bush's feet. But, I have to believe Tommy Franks when he said Bush's only challenge was to ask each combat commander personally if they had everything they need. Contrast that with Johnson who personally approved every target in Vietnam.<br /><br />The problem IMHO with Iraq and Afghanistan is a lack of historical perspective when analyzing the situation - that is, I know of no major military action that did not at times have major setbacks and complications. Just ask the Soviets who put 650,00 troops in Afghanistan and fought for 12 years and finally gave up just like Cyrus, Alexander, Genghis Khan, Tamerlane, and the British. When you are as successful as we have been in that part of the world, with nations with histories of defeating invaders like they have, you've done a heck of a lot right. Just because you have the firepower to kill very living thing in a town doesn't mean it is the smart thing to do. I have faith in the military leadership on the ground to do the smart thing.<br /><br />[edit] If Bush is re-elected you will see strikes on Iran IMHO and possibly Syria. He can't do it now w/o guaranteeing a Kerry victory. Korea should be placed squarely in the lap of the Chinese and Japanese IMHO unless and until the develop ties to Islamo-fascists or develop a long range delivery vehicle.

Skinnywater

Commander

Welcome back Ralph. It's difficult to debate someone who you almost agree with. I respect our close differences.<br /><br />
I see it differently. As Erwin Rommel, one of the greatest generals of modern times said, "No plan survives contact"<br />
And from the man who defeated him, General George S. Patton;<br /><br />"Always take the offensive...Never Dig in."<br /><br />"In case of doubt, attack."<br /><br />"Fixed fortifications are monuments to man's stupidity."<br /><br /><br />
When and if I hear that advice from the military commanders in the field and in charge was ignored then I'll lay blame at Bush's feet. But, I have to believe Tommy Franks when he said Bush's only challenge was to ask each combat commander personally if they had everything they need.
Unfortunately this usually doesn't happen for 10-15 years later.<br />So it's best to analyze facts as they happen.<br /> It's obvious Tommy Franks had the all the hardware to do the invasion. It's equally obvious Tommy Franks was replaced at the time of the carrier landing. Then his replacement for the following 6 months engaged in political negotiations with an heavily armed, aggressive, insurgent, murderous militia that almost daily killed our troops. <br /><br /><br />
[edit] If Bush is re-elected you will see strikes on Iran IMHO and possibly Syria. He can't do it now w/o guaranteeing a Kerry victory. Korea should be placed squarely in the lap of the Chinese and Japanese IMHO unless and until the develop ties to Islamo-fascists or develop a long range delivery vehicle.
Well that's squarely where my faith comes in Ralph. <br />If he does it, he'd be my huckleberry. If he does more of the same, we'll have he11 to pay with Hillary.<br />It's important to note though. That in his speach last night he said protecting America was his first and primary responsibility. I take it in face value that this means protecting US above politics and campaigning. I'm always suspicious of double talk from a politician no matter how subtle it may be. Especially when that politician is touted as being so strong in convictions and honesty.<br />And I agree with you about setbacks and complications. But it's very important not to ignore them.<br />Our miltary operations have been have been our successes. Our political policies are closely resembling historical failures.<br /><br />Again Ralph, I'm glad your back and I'm sure we're not so far apart here. :)

Ralph 123

Captain

Fixed fortifications are monuments to man's stupidity
One of my favorites! Agree as usual with pretty much all you've said SW. The only difference is, I think Monty & Alexander really deserves the credit for defeating Rommel in NA (if I remember my military history correctly)- GSP was robbed of any chance to face Rommel head-on. Not long after GSP took over II corps in NA, Rommel was sick and went home and then held there as German fortunes turned in NA. Then he was killed before GPS could face him in Europe (he was put in charge of the Western defenses but was killed when it was discovered he was part of a plot to kill Hitler.) He had planned to open up a gap in the Western defenses to allow the allies to speed to Germany before the Eastern defense collapsed. Thereby keeping the Soviets out of Germany. If you're interested in this stuff let me know I have some books I highly recommend.

Boomyal

Supreme Mariner

Originally posted by Ralph:<br />
If you're interested in this stuff let me know I have some books I highly recommend.
Ralph, I would love the whole list! I cannot get enough of the analytical history of the Big One. All back before we had Girlie Men running the military operations.

Ralph 123

Captain

Ok this is for starters - they are the best of the best. They are mostly about the leaders cause leadership is kind of my "thing." <br /><br />"Knight's Cross: A Life of Field Marshal Erwin Rommel" by David Fraser<br /><br />"Patton: A Genius for War" by Carlo D'Este<br /><br />"Hitler: a study in Tyranny" by Alan Bullock<br /><br />"The Rise and Fall of the third Reich: a History of Nazi Germany" by William Shirer<br /><br />"Old Soldiers Never Die: The life of Douglas MacArthur" by Geoffrey Perret<br /><br />"Goodbye, Darkness: A Memoir of the Pacific War" by William Manchester<br /><br />One non WWII book that is a must read is:<br /><br />"Robert E Lee: A Biography" by Emory Thomas<br /><br />I bet you can pick most of them up cheap off half.com (now owned by eBay)<br /><br />[edit] and if you want to really understand terrorism, 911, UBL, Al Qaeda and Afghanistan you really must read "Ghost Wars" by Steve Coll and<br />"Endgame: The Blueprint for Victory in the War on Terror" by Thomas McInerney, et al (warning: be prepared to be very frightened and I mean that sincerely) If it were up to me, I would make every American read the last two ASAP. Both are non-partisan. Ghost wars is a scholarly history and Eng Game is more of a military assessment of the threat and the solution.