Guys I had a VERY bad day today. Please HELP!

lazydayz

Cadet
Okay so im not sure what the hell happened....maybe HOPEFULLY someone can shine some light on this.....

Took the boat out. Got an older 170 hp Mercury outboard. I felt it right away that the boat was not pushing as fast as it usually does...but i assumed that it was because there were a few bigger boats on the water making the watery very choppy...also it was pretty windy...

So the first thing was that i felt it lag and i was pushing the accelerator futher than usual and not getting nearly as much power....then while on a good run it SUDDENLY shut off...!!

I had to start it right away because we were in the middle of 4 other boats and moved to the side.....This continued to happen maybe 2 more times....we had a couple good runs but there wasnt a point that i felt it was 100 percent.....

Heres the worse and scariest thing:

We were driving when all of a sudden it shut off and a LOUD noise came from the accelterator and wouldnt go away. Even when the motor was off!! When the key was turned, it would still make this LOUD noise.

Life guard towed us.... soooo embarrasing....

When i got home one of the propellers was bent a little...does that have something to do with it??

I think we may have mixed the 2 cycle oil in wrong....i dont have a gas gauge so we kinda have to GUESS each time we put oil and gas.

Do u guys think it was the mix of the oil? or was it cuz the propeller got bent??

Please help!!

Im a total NOOOBIE!!

Thanks guys!

bustermin

Banned
Re: Guys I had a VERY bad day today. Please HELP!

I am not sure how not having a fuel gauge can keep you from mixing the fuel/oil correctly. I dont have a gauge on one of my boats, so i put the fuel in first and stop on an even amount, then add the correct amount of oil for that amount of fuel. as far as the "Loud Noise" the only thing I can think of is maybe an overheat alarm or low oil alarm, not sure you dont say what boat it is. as far as the poor engine performance, obviously a "Bent Prop" is going to greatly reduce the performance of your boat.