Guys heres a pic of my engine. Can you tell me about it?

lazydayz

Cadet
I know its a mercury v6 black max. I was told it was 150-170 hp? Thats all i reall know....I dont know how to maintane it...whats good...whats bad...

Anything can help. Thanks friends!

-Omar

DSC00350.jpg

d.boat

Chief Petty Officer
Re: Guys heres a pic of my engine. Can you tell me about it?

post the serial number and what all the decals say.

lazydayz

Cadet

post the serial number and what all the decals say.

Not sure if this is the correct serial number, maybe you can tell me what the serial number may look like? an example? Heres what i found....

it was located on the motor...P/N 332-6524A1

Thank you.

j_martin

Admiral

There should be a serial number tag on the clamp. Also the serial number is sometimes on the core plug on top of the engine behind the flywheel. If the power head has been swapped, or completely overhauled, that bet is off.

It should be 7 or 8 digits, the first or second could be a letter.

For instance, the number on my 1988 XR4 is 0b382602

That number, run through the mercurpartsexpress.com engine selector will disclose the model details for the engine. We can guess on the year, but it doesn't make much difference.

hope it helps
John

lazydayz

Cadet

There should be a serial number tag on the clamp. Also the serial number is sometimes on the core plug on top of the engine behind the flywheel. If the power head has been swapped, or completely overhauled, that bet is off.

It should be 7 or 8 digits, the first or second could be a letter.

For instance, the number on my 1988 XR4 is 0b382602

That number, run through the mercurpartsexpress.com engine selector will disclose the model details for the engine. We can guess on the year, but it doesn't make much difference.

hope it helps
John

Thank you john, ill go check it out right now....

lazydayz

Cadet

Got the serial number:

hope this is correct.

Topol_86

Petty Officer 2nd Class

From what I gather, it's a 1977 175Hp. (referenced from serial number range [4563802 - 4838073] your number 4590420 falls in that range.) You could try mercurypartsexpress.com to verify it, but I wasn't able to access the site due to not being in the US

j_martin

Admiral

From what I gather, it's a 1977 175Hp. (referenced from serial number range [4563802 - 4838073] your number 4590420 falls in that range.) You could try mercurypartsexpress.com to verify it, but I wasn't able to access the site due to not being in the US

That's 175 at the power head. Would be a bit over 150 at the prop, as modern engines are rated.

Would be a 2.0 litre engine. Them things are tough.

hope it helps
John

lazydayz

Cadet

Thank you very much. Now i need to know where I can find a manual for this bad boy. I wanna be able to know exactly what is foinf on with the engine...how to maintain it and what not...

Thanks again! I really appreciate your time and effort! You guys are the best!!

lazydayz

Cadet

That's 175 at the power head. Would be a bit over 150 at the prop, as modern engines are rated.

Would be a 2.0 litre engine. Them things are tough.

hope it helps
John

Thank you John. I appreciate it. What did you mean by "tough" lol.

d.boat

Chief Petty Officer

in addition to the big service manual, I always get an OEM "owner's manual" for the old engines I get my hands on. It gives information on general maintenance, fluids, etc. that is either not in the service manual, or not organized in a very user-friendly way in the service manual. Another source for these old mercs is oldmercs.com Great site, great people.