gun rebluing.

Deimus

Petty Officer 2nd Class
how hard is it to reblue an older rifle? If I had it profesionally done, what is a good price?

not real bad it just has been used so much the bluing is wore off where you carry it and on the clips. rem 740

KRS

Banned
Re: gun rebluing.

I think a well used old rifle needs a few rubbed-thin spots.... but that's just me.

I wouldn't try a do-it-yourself kit... the results are mediocre.

I would go with a pro... but I don't have any idea what a typical cost would be.

Let's see some pictures :)

i386

Captain

I was looking into the same thing the other day. I did some Googling and found some articles on how to do it. I also read some opinions that the best results would come from having a gunsmith do it. More importantly, I read that rebluing will decrease the value of it significantly so you should factor that in as well.

Bob_VT

Moderator & Unofficial iBoats Historian
Staff member

Daily shooters that have worn spots have style. If you Re-blue the gunn the value drops and it (IMO) never is quite the same.

Keep the gun clean with light oil and 0000 steel wool which will make it look great. Touch up blue might help the clip but I would not use it on the gun.

If the finish is bugging you your choices are to re-blue or get it coated with some of the newer finishes. Either way it is costly.

JB

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

Years ago (I say that pretty often, don't I?) I had a couple of Winchester 1906s I picked up at garage sales.

Both were worn shiny and had pitted chambers but the wood was good, if worn.

I refinished the wood with a high shine and cold blued the metal parts with a home kit. They looked pretty good on display racks but were not usable. The "blue" had a brownish tint and was uneven. I might do that again to a "shooter" with no collector value, just to ward off corrosion..

Later I found a Lefever 20ga. double that was in similar cosmetic shape but very usable. I did the stock on that and sent the receiver and barrel to a gunsmith who hot blued it. It was bloody gorgeous! I sold that gun to a collector for about 10 times what it cost me. What I could have gotten if I hadn't done that is worth thinking about.

Bottom line? Cold bluing is iffy, hot bluing looks like factory new. I would not use cold blue again on a premium gun.

I would not do either to a gun that had collector value (check The Gun Trader's Guide). It does reduce the value. Even cleaning up the stock finish reduced the value of Grandad's Parker.

Scaaty

Vice Admiral

I'm with JB here. I've cold blued an old Mouser, stock came out perfect, bluing came out pretty good. But ya can't beat a hot blue by someone who knows his stuff, hands down.

flashback

Captain

Years ago I had an old 1911, yea I,m a little like JB, anyway had it hot blued in 1988 by a pro for 75 bucks. it did turn out looking like new. I still have it and it still looks great.. but I probably don't put more than a hundred rounds a year thru it........

tie_one_on

Petty Officer 1st Class

deimus, I've used a product called Mark Lee Express Bluing #1 from Brownells. About $10. A great cross between hot & cold bluing. Did a Winchester Model 52 around 1929 vintage and a Browning Baby pistol. The results were OUTSTANDING. I will say the end results all depend on the preparation. Clean, sand, polish, polish, polish, degrease, follow the instructions and you too should have something you'll be very proud of.

Major Woods

Petty Officer 1st Class

I owned a gun shop in my younger days.

I always told the customer to get a professional to reblue it and it will look like factory new. The cold blueing is fine for small touch ups.
If an antique firearm, any touch up or complete reblueing will lessen the resale value.

Some old guns used a browning process if you want an original look.

Chief101

Chief Petty Officer

tie_one_on said:
deimus, I've used a product called Mark Lee Express Bluing #1 from Brownells. About $10. A great cross between hot & cold bluing. Did a Winchester Model 52 around 1929 vintage and a Browning Baby pistol. The results were OUTSTANDING. I will say the end results all depend on the preparation. Clean, sand, polish, polish, polish, degrease, follow the instructions and you too should have something you'll be very proud of.

IMHO. I you are going to do the prep work as listed above then it would be well worth it to have a professional do the hot process. Most of the cost is in the prep. But then we all know that aboot the prep work. Chief Chief ;)

Deimus

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I not worried about resale as I will never sell the gun. sentimental I guess. the problem I am having is keeping the rust off when I hunt in bad weather. when I see the rust I feel like I am abusing the thing. I realize it has more character now but I don't want to ruin it.

Link

Rear Admiral

tie_one_on said:

I have seen that used with the same results. (not by me)
But only when redoing the whole thing.
And it is a LOT of work!

Cheating on the prep will result in a mess.
Trust me BTDT

But then some would say redoing the gun stock is a lot of work. Except I enjoy that. :)

Cold Browning is another animal.
Your just jump starting what the metal wants to do in the first place.
Protect its self!
Protective coat of rust if you will.
Sort of like oxidation on an aluminum boat

I would have it done by a pro myself.

tie_one_on

Petty Officer 1st Class

Hey deimus, the bluing part with Mark Lee #1 is not hard at all, actually almost fun. The more coats you put on the deeper the blue becomes. If you take your time and are very carefull you will get a professional looking hot blue result.

tie_one_on

Petty Officer 1st Class

Oh deimus, I forgot to add if you ever have any questions, you can call Mark and he will guide you through them. Great guy. Also, his product doesn't have any hazardous substances so there for no hazardous material surcharge applies for shipping.

Laddies

Banned

deimus, just my 2 cents worth I have many older firearms that the bluing is worn on that are used in bad weather, with todays lube it should not be a problem, the bigest problems are caused by a damp case, if the case is dried each evening and the gun lubed with a good product and kept out of the case except for transportion, never leave a gun in a case it will always rust the hard cases are the worst. You should not have rusting using this method, I have for many years with out problems and hunt with some weapons that ars 3 genrations old, as you can tell by now I don't belive in rebluing weapons in most cases. I have a couple redone that suffered fire damage but by a proffesional. If your weapons have sentimental value they deserve better than you are thinking, why destroy the looks and value of a fine old memory, you can never replace it or make it original again and with the new gun look alot of the memories are gone (my dads model 12 has a thumb print in it from him setting in a duck blind in the rain for many years, I think of him ever time I see the print and it's great memories) if nothing else think about purchasing another gun for bad weather hunting. As you can tell these are just musing of a old man---Bob