Gum Control

SS MAYFLOAT

Admiral
Thats Gum control and not gun control. Something I heard the other day is that some countries it is illegal to have or sell chewing gum.<br /><br />With hepititus, meningitus, and aids being around, it makes me think how safe are we.<br /><br />We all know you encounter it just about everywhere. It maybe out of sight, but it is still there with all the germs from the person who put it there.<br /><br />Look around on the ground at fast food places. You will see more gum on the ground than you will cigarett butts. Cigarette butts don't stick to your shoes, gum does. Then what risk does the person that has to clean it up take?<br /><br />Second hand smoke is not going to give me any of the dieseaes I mentioned, but gum could.<br /><br />I don't want to sound like a liberal, but technically this gum stuff is a biohazard. This just might be the reason it is outlawed in some places.<br /><br />Since cigaretts has to have warnings on them, so should gum. At least that is my opinion. I feel that gum that is not disposed of properly is very disgusting and unsanitary.<br /><br />What is your thoughts? Thanks

62_Kiwi

Lieutenant Junior Grade
Re: Gum Control

I'm just back from Singapore where gum is outlawed...and wow, does that place look tidy! <br /><br />It takes a while to realise what it is....but then you notice - no gum stuck on the road or footpaths (sidewalks). No litter either, due to their strict laws.<br /><br />I hadn't thought of the heath aspects, but that's a good point too.

Bondo

Staff member

Nope........... Nope..............<br /><br />I think they should sell it Only to Licensed Gum Chewers, who have completed All the Required Safety Courses,<br />AND, Can PROVE the Need to Possess said Gum............................................ :D

jtexas

Fleet Admiral

Do you use the bannister when going up or down stairs in a public building? Shake hands with people you meet? Handle cash? You already got all the germs, I doubt the gum really matters.<br /><br />Dontcha hate it when public restrooms have doors that swing in to open, so you have to grasp a handle? You'd be surprised how many people don't wash their hands afterward. (Not that I pee on my hands or anything.) And it sure puts my mind at ease when I see a sign in a restaurant restroom "Employees must wash hands..."<br /><br />Just remember, gum don't kill people, people kill people!

SS MAYFLOAT

Admiral

Shaking hands with a person won't necessarily pass it onto you, but something that has their body fluids contained in it could.<br /><br />Glad you made it home okay Kiwi! :)

BoatBuoy

Rear Admiral

Some contaminants can live outside the body longer than others. I understand the HIV virus dies very quickly when removed from the host, but hepititus can live for days.

Bob_VT

Moderator & Unofficial iBoats Historian
Staff member

You can get Hepatitus B from a drinking foumtain. If you contact a disease from shaking hands is there was an exsisting open sore to transmit the fluid.<br /><br />They can have my gum when they pry it from my cold dead fingers!

hayhauler

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Don't blame it on me. I swallow my gum. Have for forty something years. I've heard all the dire consequences, but I've seen no evidence of any of them.<br /><br />All gum crimes should be prosecuted to the fullest extent of the law.

Bob in Calif.

Senior Chief Petty Officer

I coached Little Leage Baseball for a number of years, when my two boys were in Little League's age window.<br /><br />The beginning of my second year, I was so fed up with stepping on gum and occasionally getting it on the carpet of my vehicle. I told the players that chewing gum and baseball go together, but no one shall spit their gum on any playing area, especially in or around the dugout. <br /><br />I told them they would be allowed one incident, of which they would then be reminded of their infraction. Upon a second occurance, they would be benched for the remainder of the game. If the violation occured prior to the game, they wouldn't play at all that day. I advised the parents of "Coach Bob's" law and had the parents behind it 100%. <br /><br />The compliance by the kids was amazing.<br /><br />...Bob in Calif...