Gulfport truck coming

dolluper

Captain
Tomorrow should be the arrival of a tractor trailer load of supplies coming down from the Ottawa Canada area.There are a couple of generators, food,water,baby supply's,toys about $100,000.00 worth of stuff all donated.The Senator's hockey team came up with over 15 grand to start things off.Hope this will help out the people in need in the area.

ufm82

Master Chief Petty Officer
Re: Gulfport truck coming

We thank you for the kindness. Who are you hooked up with as far as the donation? Some charities aren't taking stuff anymore- there's just too much. <br /><br /> One of our customers offered to donate $40,000 worth of steel roofing. He runs a facility that makes roofing for barns, cabins and buldings like that. The Red Cross told him they preferred cash- they couldn't take the steel. He understood that they had no place to put it until there were buildings to put it on and he told them he was willing to hold it until it was needed. They still told him that they weren't interested. They wanted cash. He declined. <br /><br /> I guess it's a little harder to skim steel than money, huh?<br /><br />UFM82

JB

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

Thanks, neighbor. :) <br /><br />It is nice to see evidence that crisis brings out the best in most people after so many gripes and news about the fact that it brings out the worst in a few.

ZodFutMk2

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Your contributions are greatly appreciated! :) :)

dolluper

Captain

It was done in conjunction with the Canadian Red Cross ,maybe the guy with the steel could avoid red tape and go through The Canadian Red Cross,worth a shot might work

kenimpzoom

Rear Admiral

Thanks a lot for all those kind people up in the Great White North.<br /><br />Ken

Reel Poor

Vice Admiral

dolluper<br /><br />Im sure the things that are being sent are greatly needed by some of the outlying hard to reach areas that have been devistated. Thing around here are definately getting better every day. More and more stores are opening up with needed supplies. There are many folks that still have a true need. I hope that these are the people that recieve the goods being sent. There are also alot of people taking things they dont NEED just because they're free. :mad: This leaves those suffering to still do without. I have "heard" that the Redcross is running short on cash donations, but IMO its because they spend so much on logistics and distribution support along with their own infrastructure costs. IMHO the best way to help is thru OUR LOCAL CHURCHES and HELP associations. I believe a larger portion of the items or cash that has been donated is actually distributed to the people who really need the help. I know a couple of people who literally lost everything, including their jobs, due to the distruction, and really need help. My wife and myself went today and stood in line with them for food stamps. After recieving "our" food stamp voucher for $226.00, we went to the store with them and bought all kind of staple goods and gave the whole lot to them. All tho we did qualify for the assistance, we do not have a personal NEED, as we are well supplied and both working. Ill tell you, it really made me feel good to know I was able to help someone with a true need.<br /><br /><br />Much Much thanks to all who have been even remotely involved with any relief efforts.

Belchy

Petty Officer 1st Class

Hear around Belleville Ontario, our member of parliment organized a truck load of bottled water to be sent bout a week ago, and heard today that another freight train car full of bottled water is on its way down soon.<br /><br />Belchy

islandboat

Petty Officer 2nd Class

The help pouring in from so many different places is amazing. It is appreciated and needed by so many. Some areas in south Mississippi have been completly devistated and show no signs of hope while others are improving daily. It is true that some people are abusing the system, however so many need help that it is important to continue with the aid and realize that 99% will go to those that do need it. <br />Everyday I see things that build hope in the community. Small businesses that opened as early as possible after the storm even though they could not complete a credit card transaction,(few had cash - no banks) but would allow people to sign their name on a sheet of notebook paper with a list of items "purchased" and a promise to return and pay when they could. Yesterday I heard a loud speaker moving through a neighborhood that was totally destroyed offering a free hot meal to anyone. It was a Red Cross van. No one else was on the street and there were no other sounds. They are trying hard to help. I can't explain the feeling of seeing this happen in my hometown. <br /> Dolluper, the local churches are doing a great job in helping their communities. They may be the best place to start as a productive distribution point. The Red Cross and Salvation Army are also working hard and doing a great job but they seem to have their own system in place. <br /> UFM82, the local animal shelters have lost their roofs and may be in need of building supplies. Many Churches have also lost their roofs and hold church services in the parking lots. Please don't give up with the roofing material, no doubt some organization here could use it.

SpinnerBait_Nut

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

Well, since we are on this subject:<br /><br />Ok folks, listen up.<br />I have been working with these people since this happened and we finally got it worked out.<br />Now if this is ok with all concerned, I will go ahead with it.<br />Please read this first.<br />Posted: 09/16/05 - 12:12:44 am EDT <br /><br />--------------------------------------------------------------------------------<br /> <br /> <br /> <br /> <br /> <br />Some victims of Hurricane Katrina may soon have new homes, thanks to an area company.<br /><br />The Home Show, which sells manufactured homes, is donating 52 homes to storm victims. Six homes will be sent from the Ashland/Cannonsburg location and the remaining 46 will come from the company's remaining locations in West Virginia and Kentucky.<br /><br />In addition to the homes, Dave Gatrell, president and general manager of the Ashland location along with local Catlettsburg resident, Lester Wright, said they would like to fill the homes with furnishings, food, school supplies and children's toys.<br /><br />All company locations will serve as collection sites for canned goods, dishes, linens, eating utensils, toys, and school supplies, as well as other home furnishings that residents would like to donate. People can drop off items at any of the locations during business hours, which are Monday through Friday from 9 a.m. to 7 p.m., Saturdays from 9 a.m. to 5 p.m. and Sundays from noon to 5 p.m.<br />Mr. Wright will be in charge of distribution of said items in each home.<br /><br />Gatrell said that nothing heat sensitive can be accepted since the homes will be transported by truck and may sit in a staging area in Texas for a while before families actually occupy them. <br /><br />He said he is expecting the homes from the Ashland location to leave for the South sometime next week or the beginning of the following week.<br /><br />He said they have been working with FEMA to donate the homes. FEMA, however, is paying the transportation costs, he said.<br /><br />Well, with the advent of Rita, we are on hold with the homes. Should be a go next week.

dolluper

Captain

Good show SBN your a good man maybe the steel guy can be hooked up .Where there's a will there's a way

Reel Poor

Vice Admiral

Spinner You Da Man :cool: <br />I can only hope the people that couldnt afford/didnt have insurance will recieve these generous donations. I hope they dont go to folks with means, or folks that "know somebody". Spinner Im sure whoever recieves these homes will greatly appreciate them. ;)