Guide Posts for Pontoon Trailer

jayboy76

Cadet
My 24' pontoon is hard to line up on the bunks. Can't see the guides mounted at the axle line after getting close to the trailer. I have looked at the bolt on units on line but wonder if the ones between the bunks or the ones that go outboard the bunks would be better. The ones on the outside of the boat would be more visible I am sure. The boat is at least 8' plus the trim rails that cover the deck edges plus have some water deflectors on the front of the toons that may be wider. I can't go out and measure since my son had to leave the boat at Lake Texhoma this weekend due to the weather in North Texas this weekend. Hope wind is down Tuesday and we will go up for a day fishing trip to pick it up.

Live in Texas and may occasionally go to Louisiana or Ok. I think, but will look up, 8.5' is the widest the trailered load can be on our highways. question I have is will the outboard guides make the rig to wide to be legal? The literature on the guides don't really say how wide they are installed and how much clearance would you need for the boat to go on safely waithout wiping them out.

Questions: Anyone installed them and how durable are they? How wide would the trailer be with the outside guides installed? Which ones do you recommend. Thanks for any ideas you guys may have.:)

jeeperman

Lieutenant Commander
Re: Guide Posts for Pontoon Trailer

Don't know exactly how wide my deckboat is but I am guessing 8 feet. Trailer looks exactly the same as a pontoon bunk trailer.

Depending on the angle of the boat ramp, the aft half of any guides between the bunks is useless. Until you pull out and the boat settles onto the bunks.

I installed the pole type on the outside. They come out horizontal from below the frame and then curve up about five feet.
They are spaced about three or four inches wider than the boat. The horizontal portion is clamped to the trailer frame rails via two u-bolts each with a piece of 1x treated wood inbetween frame and guide pole. This allows the guide pole to rotate forward if I come into the trailer too hot and hit one of the guide poles. When that happens, the guide pole rotates forward and does not bend or break.
I can then pull the pole back to upright with a little grunting.

I would not worry about being over 8.5 feet but over 9 or 10 feet might be a red flag for some LEO's.

Water logged

Petty Officer 1st Class

pontoonboattrailerguide008.jpg

pontoonboattrailerguide007.jpg

If the picture is attached you can see the guides I put on my trailer. About $100 for all material, and to have the brackets welded.

The balls make it easy to see where i'm going.

Glenn

Fherna319

Recruit

pontoonboattrailerguide008.jpg

pontoonboattrailerguide007.jpg

If the picture is attached you can see the guides I put on my trailer. About $100 for all material, and to have the brackets welded.

The balls make it easy to see where i'm going.

Glenn

Where did you get your brackets and rails from?