Guess my weight.....PLEASE!

jvolpe28

Seaman
Hello I have a trailer for a 16 ft boat I guess it's an average size trailer, the trailer reads GATOR TRAILER , I had to get plates for it and needed to get it weighed, I had no choice but to weigh it with the boat still on it, the combined weight for the trailer and boat was 1660 lbs, so I need to know what the average 16 ft single axle boat trailer weighs?.....anybody have any ideas?

JB

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Re: Guess my weight.....PLEASE!

Howdy, JVolpe.<br /><br />I would guess it at between 300 and 400#. It may be even less than that. <br /><br />I am able to lift one side of the trailer that is under my 17' Whaler when the boat isn't on it and I am a scrawny old Great Granpa.<br /><br />Good luck :)

Homerr

Commander

This may sound stupid, but put your boat in the water and have a friend watch it while you take your trailer to one of those highway weigh stations.<br /><br />Most of the stations in my area are all automatic. You just drive up on them any time and it will tell you how much it weighs.<br /><br />H.

FlyBoyMark

Ensign

1. Go to Walmart<br />2. Buy $6.00-10.00 bathroom scale<br />3. Return home<br />4. Take boat to ramp and launch, tie up<br />5. Pull trailer up and out of way.<br />6. Pull trailer one wheel at time onto scale, note weight.<br />7. Uncouple and weigh weight of coupler on scale.<br />8 Add left and right wheel weight and tonge weight<br />9. Wala! You now have your trailer weight and new bathroom scale<br /><br />Scale should be rated 250 lbs............. :D

fredda5018

Cadet

Flyboymark, I can just see this happening on a busy Sat. Morning in the parking area at the local boat ramp. LOL.

Spidybot

Lieutenant Commander

Homerr's solution even tells the weight of the boat (as you've already weighed the combined total). That might come handy when looking for a proper prop-pitch for that 9.9 ..

suzukidave

Petty Officer 1st Class

I think Flyboy's idea requires that the trailer be detached before you weigh at the wheels as the tongue and axle weight ratio when the tongue is resting the trailer hitch will be different than when its resting on the ground. Also you will get a slight underweigh from the additional height of the scale under each tire which will transfer weight to the unweighed tire. To be really accurate you must buy three scales and set them under the wheels and detached tongue all at once! The combined reading is the answer. <br /><br />Another option is to ask people at the launching ramp to grab their fish scales. If enough people (say 20 people with 25lb scales) hook their scales under the trailer you can all lift it together and combine the readings. :p

jvolpe28

Seaman

for some reason i dont think the BMV is going to trust my bathroom scale for reg. papers ! lol I was just trying to get a guesstimate on my boats weight

dkhntr

Seaman

Are we talking a fiberglass or aluminum boat??<br /><br />~Chris

D

DJ

I'm with JB on the trailer weight. The rest of your 1660# is boat and engine. Tell us what kind of engine and we'll get close.

jvolpe28

Seaman

16 ft fiberglass mfg runabout deep 1984 9.9 hp long shaft evinrude,

jvolpe28

Seaman

I can email you a picture of both if helpful in guesstimate

D

DJ

jv,<br /><br />Your motor is about 80 lbs. and I'll still go with the trailer weighing about 400. THe rest of the 1660 is boat.

bradyt

Seaman

I have a Gator boat trailer also ,extentable tongue tube ,pivot center , single axle ,yr.1965.<br />It weights almost 400 lbs.I pull a 14 ft.5hp motor ,troll motor, battery, & fishing equipment registered it in Indiana on small trailer plate at 3000 lb.or under gross weight. :confused: <br /><br />Pink at night Sailors Delight,Pink in the morning Sailors take Warning ! :)

FlyBoyMark

Ensign

Scales for trucks are rated only +or- 10%. Weather or not one tire is 2' higher or lower than the other will only make a 1 or 2 pound difference. At least here in Florida if you give DOT/tag agency weight of trailer and tell them its for an aluminum boat...you get a cheaper tag.