Guages for my Merc 500

00scoots

Cadet
I have (not on the boat yet due to snow storms in the Pac NW) a rebuilt 1972 Merc 500 with electric start and I believe Thunderbolt ignition.<br /><br />I am getting a new tach as the one I had was for a 4 cycle outboard.<br /><br />I have room for about 4 more guages on my dash.<br />So here are my questions:<br /><br />1. Will an ammeter work with this 2 cycle<br /> outboard and would it be useful?<br />2. Would a voltmeter be of use?<br />3. Would a new Mercury outboard temperature gauge<br /> work on this older outboard?<br />4. I'm also looking at a guage to monitor my <br /> battery and an hour meter.<br />5. What 4 guages would you choose to monitor your<br /> outboard and charging system?

Hooty

Rear Admiral
Re: Guages for my Merc 500

I think the only "must-have" gauges are a water pressure gauge and a tach, in that order. The rest are just gadgets.<br /><br />c/6<br />Hooty

y not

Seaman Apprentice

Hooty, why a water pressure gauge?<br />How would you hook it up? Isnt the tell tale stream adequate? Sorry for so many questions but never thought of a water pressure gauge.<br /><br />As for me 1. temp gauge 2. tacho 3. hour meter<br />4. volt meter<br /><br />I only say hour meter as I use my boat 12 months a year ( sub tropics) and is surprising how many hours you can get up without realising.

Hooty

Rear Admiral

The water pressure gauge tees off the tell tale line. It will tell you at a glance, without turning around, if the waterpump is working. It also tells how well the pump is working when the readings are compared to the readings of a new waterpump. (i.e.waterpump wear) Personally, I can't take the time to turn around and look for the tale tell when traveling at speed. I guess you could say it's proactive where the hi temp horn is reactive. Usually when the alarm sounds, it's to late, the damage is done. The other gauges are electives.<br /><br />c/6<br />Hooty