guage install on fiberglass dash - FYI to DIY

dkwalker

Petty Officer 3rd Class
Merc90HPnewbie for one was wondering about installing his temp and water pressure guages on his fiberglass dash. Others probably have faced the same challenge. - use a high speed router. Some call it a cutout tool. It's bigger than a dremel tool and runs at about 20,000 RPM.<br /><br />It's a compact handheld tool with bits that look a lot like a drill bit.<br />Roto zip is the popular brand, available at most hardware stores. That brand is high priced, about $80, I think.<br /><br />Harbor Freight (harborfreight.com) sells one for about $30 (unless you find it on sale - a frequent occurance). <br /><br />The only bits that I know of are the Roto-zip brand... a pack of the basic bits is about $8. I used the most basic bit on my dash... solid hard fiberglass, about 5/16" thick. No sweat. The hole for my tach was a bit under 3 3/8". I first marked my hole a bit small, cutting the opening in one piece, then 'nudged around the edges until my tach slipped in snuggly. Friction Fit.<br /><br />I did drill a pilot hole, just to get my bit started into the fb... once cutting, your only moving the tool horizontally, resting it on it's plastic base to keep it steady.<br /><br />I am an electrician and I use this tool for cutting fine cabinetry, lathe- and -plaster... even tile (with limited success). Those last two surfaces require tougher more exotic bits, but with the basic bit I have cut outlines in 1/2" wooden composite siding. <br /><br />For fiberglass, you get a neat accurate cut. <br />The noise is much like a loud dentist drill, and it generates some very fine dust... ear and eye protection are recommended, and maybe a dust mask as well. Don't apply too much sideways pressure, trying to hurry the job. Just let it cut and you guide it smoothly in circle.

JB

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Re: guage install on fiberglass dash - FYI to DIY

Moving to Boats