GT-150 Odd random spark

qcernie

Cadet
Here's a strange one. My 1990 GT-150 crossfire at times has no spark on the spark tester. I disconnect the red power connector and jump the starter. Good spark all cylinders. Reconnect the red cable and I still have spark. This happens randomly. When I get no spark I go through this whole procedure and the spark returns. Any ideas? This has got me stumped.

Bosunsmate

Admiral
Re: GT-150 Odd random spark

Whats the red power connector? The big red plug?
Does it ever cut out when its running?

qcernie

Cadet

Whats the red power connector? The big red plug?
Does it ever cut out when its running?

Yes the red plug. It does idle a little rough but I think that's pretty normal for these motors. No cut out that I've noticed. I had the wiring harness from the key switch to the motor replaced about 6 months ago.

Last edited:

Bosunsmate

Admiral

Yeah that is strange.
Have you tried unpluging it, leaving it for five mins and not jumping starter and then replugging?

find the black/yellow kill wire under the cowling and instead of unplugging the red connector just remove the black/yellow wire and test that. (you can also ohm the wire to ground once unplugged). If the black/yellow is shorting anywhere from the ignition/kill switch/wiring, it will kill the spark. By unplugging the red connector you are moving wires around and it could be that the movement is just enough to break the short.

qcernie

Cadet

find the black/yellow kill wire under the cowling and instead of unplugging the red connector just remove the black/yellow wire and test that. (you can also ohm the wire to ground once unplugged). If the black/yellow is shorting anywhere from the ignition/kill switch/wiring, it will kill the spark. By unplugging the red connector you are moving wires around and it could be that the movement is just enough to break the short.

It was kill switch. Bypassed it and she fires every time. Thanks for the help.