GRRRRRRRRR!! 88 Johnson 110 tilt pin

CampionGuy

Seaman
AAAAAAARRRRRRRRRRRGGGGGHHHHHHHH!!!!! HELP?

Any tips on getting the tilt cylinder pivot pin out. I need to replace the tilt motor and everything but the #*&@^&!% *$))****#$ pin is removed.

Thanx in advance.
Doug

OBJ

Supreme Mariner
Re: GRRRRRRRRR!! 88 Johnson 110 tilt pin

I feel your pain Doug...... :-(

Have you applied some heat to the metal around the pin yet? On occasion, this seems to be the only way....have the hammer and driver ready....to hit the pin....not the motor.... :)

CampionGuy

Seaman

Yeah I have heated around the pin, been soaking it with liquid wrench, whacking it with the hammer and a drift, and trying to verbally scare it out. It's like my wife though, it just won't listen not the hammer part. OK she says the same about me.
Thanx OBJ

Dhadley

Supreme Mariner

We usually end up cutting them. Torch or saw. With trim you don't need it anyway.

HighTrim

Supreme Mariner

I truly do feel your pain, as well as everyone else that has taken out an older pin. Suggestions:

Back the pin back out
Grind or file the edge, after being hit with the hammer repeatedly im sure theres a chamfer on it by now
Apply a good penetrating oil
Might take a couple days, but drive it a bit, apply oil, let sit, drive it a bit, apply oil, let it sit
Took me 3 days to get mine out, the first 5 inches are the worst, moves much better after that.

Good luck

CampionGuy

Seaman

We usually end up cutting them. Torch or saw. With trim you don't need it anyway.

Ummm, don't need it???
But at the trim cylinder rods it just rests on a couple bolt in pads on the shaft housing. What's to hold the motor in while reversing? I assume I would need a new pin? Where can I cut it, between the pivot and the bracket?

Thanx for everyone's assistance I will get back at it in the AM.

Doug

CampionGuy

Seaman

HighTrim: How's the weather and fishing? I spent 23 years in what used to be SteelTown.

Doug Whynott

HighTrim

Supreme Mariner

Weather hot and humid, fish have 3 eyes and 5 legs, lake ontario is near steeltown ;) Honestly though, little patience and you wont need to cut that pin, even cut in half you will still need to get it out, so might as well do it. Take a file to it like i said, she will move.

Desertflame

Recruit

i install a tilt trim on my 88 evinrude spl. i took it to a car mechanic and he used an air impact tool, that knock the pin right out. you have to be carefull not to hit the edges or the pin will spread out and then it will be hell to remove.good luck

Dhadley

Supreme Mariner

Once you touch the trim button the motor is on the trim rams not the pin anyway. The hydraulics will keep the motor from pulling up in reverse. With the pin gone you'll get a tad more negative trim. On some boats it helps holeshot. Just one of those things that you don't need to spend money on.

mikesea

Lieutenant Commander

Im sure were talking about the tilt ram ,the center largest,you need to fing a piece of round steel stock just a bit smaller than the dia.of the pin,and hit the mother with nothing smaller than a 4 lb er,you can work from both sides,once you get it to move you can go smaller,as for heat,if you have oxy acetalene great,but a can of MAPP gas on a reg bernzomatic torch head will get heat to it,as mentioned ,once the head is mushroomed,you need to get a dremal or the like to get that mushed end gone,it will only get worse,truley the big trick is in the hammer and the largest drive tool you can get,it gotta go,steel in alum,and the piston has a plastic bushing

Dhadley

Supreme Mariner

My bad. I had it in my feeble mind we were talking about the tilt pin that goes thru the stern brackets. Don't know why I was stuck on that.

As for the pin in the tilt ram, the absolute best way is an air hammer and a little heat. Seen guys beat on them for days and not budge it. The air hammer on one side then the other and it usually comes out in about 10 minutes.

HighTrim

Supreme Mariner

AAAAAAARRRRRRRRRRRGGGGGHHHHHHHH!!!!! HELP?
tilt cylinder pivot pin

I think he is talking about the stern bracket pin, thats what i was assuming, he does say pivot pin, not cylinder ram

CampionGuy

Seaman
Yahooooo!!!!!!!! 88 Johnson 110 tilt pin

Yahooooo!!!!!!!! 88 Johnson 110 tilt pin

Tilt Ram pin.
I got it out,:D:D used the 4 pounder and a drift and gave 'er hell. So after some bruised or maybe broken knuckles and worn skin on the shoulders (the motor sits between two boarding platforms which coincidentally line up horizontally with the pin) it came out mercifully slowly. Oxy/Acetylene, liquid wrench, deburring the end, yelling obscenities and threats at the top of my lungs...the combination seemed to work.

Trim motor is definitely hooped.

Broke one of the mounting bolts. Drilled and tapped ready for the new motor.

Funny you should mention the transom tilt pin or thrust rod as BRP fiche says. I think that's what that brown lump at the bottom of the bracket may have been at one time, I will cut that off. Looks like a dead worm stuck to my motor.

Thanks to all for the great tips.

Back to the penta while waitin on the part.

Doug

CampionGuy

Seaman

My wife is a nurse, she says the fingers aren't broken and any damage I did serves me right for spending so much time "playing" with my beloved motor.:D

Thanx again to iboaters.

Doug

I had the same problem with my 82 evinrude 115 last year. We eventually had to cut it off as well. We first cut thru the rod that leads up to where your stuck pin is. That made the rest of the unit fall off. We then cut thru the pin on both sides and banged out what was left in the holes with a hammer. Good Luck.