Groundhog, gopher, whistle pig

tcube

Petty Officer 1st Class
What ever you call them, I've got several of Punxsutawney Phil's cousins living in my pasture. I know the most effective means of getting rid of them is a varmint rifle w/scope. The problem is, however, the most pesky of the bunch is directly in line with my neighbor's house and dogs - not a safe shot at all.<br /><br />Any other sure-fire methods of getting rid of the critters?

Bob_VT

Moderator & Unofficial iBoats Historian
Staff member
Re: Groundhog, gopher, whistle pig

How about a trap? You can use a killing trap or a havahart and re-locate the "chuck".<br /><br />Bob

tcube

Petty Officer 1st Class

Bob, If I re-locate, what are the odds it will return. There's a state park not far away - suppose it's legal to re-locate the rascals there?

RubberFrog

Rear Admiral

tcube- after you catch him with the havahart, take him to that island in the middle of Lake Anna. I'd like to see old Phil follow you home from there!

tcube

Petty Officer 1st Class

R-F, GREAT IDEA! The one off Bear Castle should do fine. Hope he likes the boat ride. Might raise a few eyebrows at the High Point ramp :D

aspeck

Staff member

Did you know that ground hogs are semi-migratory? They will move from one den to another in search of better food and shelter. That is one of the reasons you can wipe out a population one year and the next there are pigs in the same holes. They don't like to create new dens, so if they can find one they will move in.<br /><br />If you relocate the pig, destroy his den. If not, another one will return to the same location. Best bet is to relocate him to where you can plunk him. Then if he is a young pig, clean him, put him in a roaster with lots of garlic and onion, and slow roast him. Yea, they smell a little, but the meat is good and the onion and garlic will help to mask the smell.

crab bait

Captain

MAN..!! you west africans will eat anythin'..!!.. :) ..

gaugeguy

Captain

LOL @ Crabby :D :D <br /><br />Dang Art, if it stinks my fork isn't touching it. ;)

RubberFrog

Rear Admiral

It stinks? Yer not eatin' the butthole, are ya?

SS MAYFLOAT

Admiral

I figured that crabby would have told him to give an eviction notice Phil. :D <br /><br />Sounds like a task for Mythbusters on these pests.<br /><br />I have heard exhaust from an engine,<br />Hot pepper sauce<br />tin foil inside the hole<br />tar <br />Marigold flowers<br />urinate around its hole<br />tobacco<br /><br />None of the above worked very well, but the lead poisioning works best for me. Try a different angle on the rascal.

aspeck

Staff member

Hey, it's better than the grass cutter (read RAT) that we get fed in Ghana! Tha's why my meat of choice there is ostrich.<br /><br />But, yea, basically I will eat anything that doesn't eat me first. Saves on the grocery bill! (My wife thinks I am sick also, so it don't matter!) It actually doesn't smell any worse than the goat meat in Ghana, and is more tender.

tcube

Petty Officer 1st Class

Thanks for the input.<br /><br />I think SS Mayfloat has the best idea - the different angle coupled with lead poisoning wins. I guess I’ll set up a lawn chair with a cooler of whatever and patiently wait for the little ****bird as he wanders out for dinner around 6 or 7 pm. I will not, however, as Aspeck suggests, cook it. :eek: I’ll find a convenient place to plant it or throw it in the woods for other critters to clean up.

tcube

Petty Officer 1st Class

Oh, no offense Aspeck. It's a cultural thing, right?

Realgun

Commander

I 1/4 stick O dynamite might work. :) I think you might use a nuclear device for bigger issues but thats just me. :D

OBJ

Supreme Mariner

Young groundhop really ain't bad. My mom used to cook them (fry) and even put them in spagettii. The old ones are a little tough and strong but folks still ate them. And aspeck is right....destroy the den or another hog will take it over.

aspeck

Staff member

OBJ, you and me might be the only ones around here that tasted the pasture pig. Younger ones ain't bad, as you said, older ones go to the wild animals. Shucks, there was a time when my nephew would come up to me and say, "Unc, I'm hungry for groundhog. Let's shoot some." Guess he grew out of that stage. Now he just says, "Unc, let's go shoot some pigs." (and I don't mind at all, would rather shoot them than eat then now also.)

tcube

Petty Officer 1st Class

Aspeck and OBJ - just how do I destroy the den - without destroying the pasture? I thought about a yard or two of concrete but that's too permanent and too expensive.

aspeck

Staff member

Depends on where it is and what tools you have available ... be creative. You can fill it with dirt, sand, or any other type of fill. Run water through the whole when filling so the dirt will pack down. If you have a small backhoe, or some other digging attachment you can "dig it up" and refill.<br /><br />Remember, all you really have to do it make it hard for the pig to reuse the hole. If there is a vacant hole somewhere else that is easier to use and close to food and water source, they will use it instead.