Grinding them gears

fromcarsToboats

Seaman Apprentice
I have a johnson 115hp that sounds like i forgot to push in the clutch when i put it in to forward or reverse. Whats the deal? Does it need adjusted? I can fix the engine but don't know anything about the bottom.

Gradywhite3535

Chief Petty Officer
Re: Grinding them gears

You should first drain the gear oil and see if you see any metal mix in with the oil or on the drain screw!

MaPaHa

Petty Officer 1st Class

Does the motor rev up before it goes into gear? If so, the throttle linkage and shifter linkage needs adjusting. It should go into gear at an idle, then rev up. Also, what RPM does it idle at? If it's too fast that causes grinding also.

If it goes into gear at regular idle and grinds it may not be going in all the way with the shifter linkage. You might disconnect the shifter and put it in manually.

If it goes in all the way at idle and still grinds then that doesn't sound good. Does it run ok once it gets in gear? Or does it jump out?

Disregard, I just saw your other post. I have bought two different aftermarket lower units that have a three year warranty and have had good service so far. One is about 4 years old and one is this year. Somewhere around 800.00 bucks I think.

Last edited:

fromcarsToboats

Seaman Apprentice

It goes in gear and stays in. I'm an auto mechanic that has recently took an interest in boats. So metal in lube IS BAD. I got that. $800 is like WOW! Well i'll rebuild it myself. With the help of iboats.com.

Gradywhite3535

Chief Petty Officer

Depends on the size of metal that your seeing also. It could be a few things. If i was you the first thing you should do is get a manual. Second would be to take disassemble the lower unit to see whats going on in there. I'm sure someone else could get into more detail.

Joe Reeves

Supreme Mariner

What's the model number of that engine.... (year?)

Metal slivers, chunks, splinters, anything large enough to hurt if you shoved it into your finger.... yea, that's a bummer.

However.... the fuzzy metal particles that you find on the drain plug magnet of which you can rub between your fingers.... that's normal and nothing to be concerned about.

Which did you find?

Chinewalker

Fleet Admiral

When shifting, shift like you mean it. Don't dilly-dally. Easing the shifter into gear is a sure way to wear things out quicker...

fromcarsToboats

Seaman Apprentice

When shifting, shift like you mean it. Don't dilly-dally. Easing the shifter into gear is a sure way to wear things out quicker...

Your right. I take it to slow when i put it in gear. Guess i thought i was doing it a favor. the metal is fuzzy looking. i'll drain it and put in new lube. Thanks for your help. I wonder though? The guy i bought it from didn't have the shift lever hooked up right and the prop was missing. I'M A SUCKER.

Last edited: