Grinding a prop barrel???

spego

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Take a look at this article....in BASS Times this month. What are your thoughts on this? Anyone ever try this?

grind.jpg

biggy boy

Seaman
Re: Grinding a prop barrel???

Hi
Sounds interesting!
Can someone explain the process better?
To clarify what is being cut off.
is it the entire length of the trailing edge 1/2' in or is it something else that is being done?

Thanks
Glen

spego

Petty Officer 2nd Class

looks like they are cutting 1/2" off the barrel. I guess its just less weight to spin. :/

Tail_Gunner

Admiral

Naw just one guy trying to find another good use for his angle grinder.............and who can blame him, it's without a doubt the best problem solving tool i have ever owned............ 8) and if it doesnt work out the way i want it to i still win...:devil:

(so much fiberglass so little time.)

Ron G

Commander

I dont know,but i though they were flared for a reason?it could be acting like a vent to let out exhaust faster.or does this only work on tempest.i bet Dale and Kenny will give us the scoop on this.but i dont think im going to do my txp just yetd:)

Dhadley

Supreme Mariner

Now you're getting into blueprinting a given prop for a given boat / motor / set up. Ever noticed a TXP has a longer barrel and no taper (flair) compared to a Lightning? Two props made by the same manufacturer that are designed for two different applications yet they "look" about the same.

Ron G

Commander

d:)d:)so there only doing that for that rig and set-up?seems like it would take forever to grind or file that much off a prop.

spego

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Thats what I thought too....file off 1/2"???? Gee you would be there for days. I think something is a little weird with that article. he talks about a lip. i am wondering if he is just taking the lip off the trailing edge of the blade? I dont know about this one.

Ron G

Commander

if they just start grinding on the leading edges theres going to be some happy prop shops,maybe some happy shops anyway after all this really gets out.i think some one needs to do a test;)

biggy boy

Seaman

So what you are saying is they are cutting a half inch off of the back of the barrel, not the trailing edge of the blades.
OK so what do you get performance wise from a shorter barrel? More ventilation? I guess what i am asking is what is the science behind this ( what causes the rpm to increase)
I don't know that artical is confusing.

Thanks
Glen

Ron G

Commander

very confussing,but theres alot more to props than just grinding off the barrel,or the leading edge.these manufactures speand no telling what on testing and trying things,i dont beleive a person can go to grinding and get that kind of output out of one.and espissaly at those speeds 3 to 5 mph is alot. theres so many varibles to props and setup.

cwilt

Petty Officer 1st Class

i got the same article it makes no sense. if a little grinder can do that , imagine what a sawzall can do!!!!!:love:

Boomyal

Supreme Mariner

I'd be wary if they are talking about grinding off any of the rear flair. All of my original, early OMC props had a plastic flair piece affixed to the rear of the barrel. All of my newer props, of course, simply have the flaired aluminum.

One time I lost the plastic flair ring on a prop. That prop slipped so bad I though I had spun the hub. In fact, it was the missing flair ring that was causing it.