Greetings!

Greendiver

Petty Officer 3rd Class
This is my first post on iboats so go easy!

Just wanted to say hello and thanks to all of you who have been bringing some of these old boats back to life. I have just jumped into a 21' Mariner project and have been/will be soaking up some of the knowledge here, thank you.

Rickairmedic

Commander
Re: Greetings!

Green welcome to iboats . We will of course :D ( need pics of her for membership in the Starcraft club ) :D LOL . Make sure you mke your way down to the restoration forum on the main site page as thats where ALOT of us are hanging out tearing our boats apart and putting them back together :D. Also be sure to check out the get together thread here in the Starcraft forum as we are planning a get together for next summer in Virginia for the Starcrafters ( and similar ) Tin Cans :D.

Rick

Greendiver

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Thanks Rick. My application (photos) will be on the way shortly. My project had the deck removed by the previous owner, so I have a hull with an outboard on it. I would really appreciate it if anyone has any photos or literature of the Mariner in its original trim that they would share. Very similar to the SuperSport I'm assuming but there has to be some differences.

Rickairmedic

Commander

Hey Green what year is it I can try to look at some brochures if I know the year . There are a few other Mariner owners in the group so pictures shouldnt be to hard to come by :D.

Rick

Greendiver

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Here are some of the photos for my application! :D

Attachments

• DSC01694.JPG
    DSC01694.JPG
    52.7 KB · Views: 1
  • DSC01695.JPG
    DSC01695.JPG
    49.5 KB · Views: 1
  • DSC01715.JPG
    DSC01715.JPG
    30.9 KB · Views: 1
  • DSC01726.JPG
    DSC01726.JPG
    59 KB · Views: 1
  • DSC01728.JPG
    DSC01728.JPG
    57.5 KB · Views: 1

Greendiver

Petty Officer 3rd Class

The photos in this and the previous post show some of the parts that need to be addressed, other than reassembly of course!
One of the photos shows where I have some water leaking from up near the bow, no "loose" rivets that I can see. Gluvit will be the answer, I hope.
The holes in the hull and top deck will need to be closed up, can I use the JB weld on the hull holes (and removing snaps) or should stainless through bolts be used?
Need to locate the LH rear corner cap.
This is just to get started but I'm pretty excited. Going to go look for some 5/8 marine decking so that I can allow it to dry before I begin to work on it.

Attachments

• DSC01733.JPG
    DSC01733.JPG
    12.6 KB · Views: 0
  • DSC01734.JPG
    DSC01734.JPG
    19.4 KB · Views: 0

Rickairmedic

Commander

Okie Dokie Green looks like we can APPROVE your application now good lookin start :D.

Rick

wrfalpacas

Chief Petty Officer

Green,

Where in Indiana are you? I am up in Auburn. I used jb weld to fill those pesky snap holes, just put some tape underneath as a backer, fill with some on the end of a popsicle stick, let cure and sand flush, they will dissapear under the new paint.:D if you do any on a verticle surface, put tape on the other side after application, then just peel to sand.

Greendiver

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Ah thanks for the tip, the snaps come off tonight! The boat was registered last in Indiana but I am in SW Michigan so hopefully this boat will spend some time on Lake Michigan.

---

Whoa! Maybe I just assumed but did the early '70's Mariners have a center console or a side console? Mine came with a walk thru windshield but after removing some snaps and plates that were added by a PO, it's plain that the windshield wasn't there from the factory, at least not where it was mounted anyway. Anyone have any insight on this?

Last edited: