Greese points, which one?

tocostew

Cadet
I am just wondering which gresse points these two go to. I assume one of them is for the gimbal bearings but not sure about the other one. And what type of greese neees to go in them. I tried to attach a picture of it, hope it worked.

Attachments

• IMAG0201.jpg
    IMAG0201.jpg
    152.6 KB · Views: 0

ziggy

Admiral
Re: Greese points, which one?

the one closest to the transom is the gimble brg. the one on the gimble ring is the hing pins on the gimble ring.
use mercruiser gimble brg and ujoint grease for the gimble brg.
use mercruiser 2-4-c for the hing pins.

this might help too... it'll have the facts in it...

tocostew

Cadet

thanks, what is the gimble ring? I know what the gimble bearings is but not sure about the ring, what is its purpose?

the one closest to the transom is the gimble brg. the one on the gimble ring is the hing pins on the gimble ring.

tocostew

Cadet

also, can I pick up this grease at places like Walmart or Bass Pro?

ziggy

Admiral

but not sure about the ring, what is its purpose?
it's the in between part between the gimble housing and the bell housing. the gimble ring is what allows swivel (steering) and tilt (drive up and down). get that service maual i linked ya too. it'll have plenty of description (and pics) for you.. ;)
also, can I pick up this grease at places like Walmart or Bass Pro?
i dunno. i never go to wallmart and i don't have a bass pro anywhere's near me.. maybe try a telephone? my suspicion is that they may have some for ya.. i hear others talk about getting mercruier products like gear lub at these places...

tocostew

Cadet

sorry for some reason I cannot download this..

tocostew

Cadet

so you were saying the gimble ring allows swivel for the steering? Could that be the problem with the hard steering im having? I took out the cable and cleaned up the alluminum tube and regreased it. Im taking it out tomorrow to try it out.

it's the in between part between the gimble housing and the bell housing. the gimble ring is what allows swivel (steering) and tilt (drive up and down). get that service maual i linked ya too. it'll have plenty of description (and pics) for you.. ;)i dunno. i never go to wallmart and i don't have a bass pro anywhere's near me.. maybe try a telephone? my suspicion is that they may have some for ya.. i hear others talk about getting mercruier products like gear lub at these places...

ziggy

Admiral

don't know why ya can't download it...

try this instead... maybe?
scroll to the bottom to the contents, then click on the section ya wanna view..

so you were saying the gimble ring allows swivel for the steering?
yes, there are two big fat pins, one top, one bottom that allow swivel.
Could that be the problem with the hard steering im having?
could be, there are grease points to be maintained for these two friction points. could be something else too. steering cable, cable end that connects to the arm that attaches to the upper pin that allows ya to control steering. greasing the cable end is missed by a lot of folks i think. i grease this end regularly.