Green people destroyed another fantastic fishing area.

cyclops222

Senior Chief Petty Officer
The St. Lawrence River from Lake Ontario to Clayton New York is STRIPPED of neutreants and almost all weeds. Result ? Nofish of any amounts............. Reason for the loss.

Right Lets put in CITY sewage collection system. The river side houses septic tanks outflow supplied neutrants for the complete food chain to exsist perfectly.

ALL gone forever.

dubs283

Vice Admiral
I'm curious as to how balanced the river ecosystem was prior to septic system daylighting into riparian areas. Void of life?

A sound septic system ought to be fine when daylighted towards a lake/river. Its when age and damage allow for excess leaking there's an issue. Most prevalent is algae bloom which blocks sunlight and lessens vegetation underwater.

Local governments have banned septic systems next to riparian areas due to negligent property owners not maintaining it and allowing excess sewage to seep into waterways. Plus the risk of catastrophic failure dumping entire holding tanks.

As stated earlier invasive species, mainly zebra mussels have aided in unbalanced ecosystems due their constant depletion of nutrients within the water. The numbers are cyclical as far as population go as with any species and can be noted through water clarity studies over time

cyclops222

Senior Chief Petty Officer
Add in the 59 F surface water temperature and no weeds to keep temperature about 10 degrees colder this month.

FLATHEAD

Captain
Zebra muscles can do some harm. The local reservoir I fish here has a ten day quarantine on boats before they can be put in the water. Because they want no zebra muscles. Been that way for more than 20 years and seems to be working. Main reason is they don’t want them clogging up the outlet piping at the bottom of the dam.

briangcc

Commander
Zebra mussles cleared up the water as you can now see easily 20' down in almost crystal clear water. Not that I'd drink it but its darn near pristine looking. Started out in Lake Ontario about a decade or two ago due to lakers/freighters discharging bilge water.

Sorry, green men didn't do this.

**Been up on the river since early '00s at least once a year....sometimes about 3-4 times a year.

If you want to see polluted water, head to Black Lake in Hammond NY. Looks like there's fine gold suspended in the water column. During high heat, you can see wonderful harmful algae blooms - looks iridescent green/blue. Don't get the stuff on your skin! Lots of run off from local farms fertilizers, pesticides, farm waste, etc. Not that this lake is any better than the river fishing wise - weeds were almost non-existent and the large catches are few/far between.

FLATHEAD

Captain
Zebra mussles cleared up the water as you can now see easily 20' down in almost crystal clear water. Not that I'd drink it but its darn near pristine looking. Started out in Lake Ontario about a decade or two ago due to lakers/freighters discharging bilge water.

Sorry, green men didn't do this.

**Been up on the river since early '00s at least once a year....sometimes about 3-4 times a year.

If you want to see polluted water, head to Black Lake in Hammond NY. Looks like there's fine gold suspended in the water column. During high heat, you can see wonderful harmful algae blooms - looks iridescent green/blue. Don't get the stuff on your skin! Lots of run off from local farms fertilizers, pesticides, farm waste, etc. Not that this lake is any better than the river fishing wise - weeds were almost non-existent and the large catches are few/far between.
For sure the St Lawrence has some clear water. Friends have a place on Wellesley island. As far as Black lake I find it’s pretty consistent from year to year. Tons and tons of weeds on the eastern side of the bridge in Hammond. We have incredible days fishing that lake. 50 fish days are not uncommon.

briangcc

Commander
For sure the St Lawrence has some clear water. Friends have a place on Wellesley island. As far as Black lake I find it’s pretty consistent from year to year. Tons and tons of weeds on the eastern side of the bridge in Hammond. We have incredible days fishing that lake. 50 fish days are not uncommon.
Must be up there a different time than my family - end July/beginning August. Weeds were very very difficult to locate and fishing in past 5 years has been really rough. I haven't landed a pike in what seems to be an eternity - used to be all I caught were 18-24" pike.

With at least 5 boats using various fishing styles/gear we've all commented that the fishing has gone drastically down hill. Then again, water temps are sky high at that juncture.

We fish south end of the lake out of The Log Cabins.

Tight lines to ya!

FLATHEAD

Captain
Must be up there a different time than my family - end July/beginning August. Weeds were very very difficult to locate and fishing in past 5 years has been really rough. I haven't landed a pike in what seems to be an eternity - used to be all I caught were 18-24" pike.

With at least 5 boats using various fishing styles/gear we've all commented that the fishing has gone drastically down hill. Then again, water temps are sky high at that juncture.

We fish south end of the lake out of The Log Cabins.

Tight lines to ya!
Go under the bridge at Edwardsville and head toward where the river feeds in. You’ll find weeds. We always go out of sunnyside. The docking there offers great protection from those winds that can whip that lake up.

briangcc

Commander
Yeah that's a nope. Amish make that all but impossible when I'm there. I've had them toss lures/bobbers right in front of my boat while navigating that narrow channel under the bridge. For those out of the area, it's maybe 10-12' wide during wet season. It gets dicey when the water is low, which due to current climate is now more often than not.

My cousin a few years back took his SeaRay Sundeck through there, smacked something hard with the outdrive at idle speed. Absolutely destroyed his SS prop and lower unit.

FLATHEAD

Captain
Yeah that's a nope. Amish make that all but impossible when I'm there. I've had them toss lures/bobbers right in front of my boat while navigating that narrow channel under the bridge. For those out of the area, it's maybe 10-12' wide during wet season. It gets dicey when the water is low, which due to current climate is now more often than not.

My cousin a few years back took his SeaRay Sundeck through there, smacked something hard with the outdrive at idle speed. Absolutely destroyed his SS prop and lower unit.
That sucks, our gang has never had a problem through there.