Great Salt Lake

Jack Shellac

Lieutenant Commander
Had a layover in Salt Lake City a while back and saw the lake for the first time [from the air]. Had no idea it was so big. Questions: Some parts of it looked pink. What causes this? Can you boat in the lake? How do you keep it from eating up your engine, if answer is yes. If anyone can satisfy my curiosity it will be greatly appreciated. Very nice airport, by the way.

SoulWinner

Commander
Re: Great Salt Lake

Greetings from Pensacola,<br /><br />I just read an article on the Great Salt Lake in the February 2002 National Geographic. The article stated that the lake is bisected by a railroad causeway, the saltier side tinted pink by bactieria and algae, the fresher side being blue. The lake is further described as being "devoid of fish, corrosive to boats, acrid and hard to reach." In October scores of fishermen come to the lake to harvest Artemia Cysts, these are brine shrimp eggs. They are used as food on prawn farms in Asia and South America. Hope this helps.<br /><br />God Bless,<br />SoulWinner

mellowyellow

Vice Admiral

no fish is bad, but bet waterskiing is pretty<br />good. easy to float at least:D <br />have flown over several times but have never<br />visited. sure looks cool from the air.<br />not sure I want to harvest cysts though :p

Scoop

Lieutenant Junior Grade

I heard it was devoid of fish also. I also heard that swimming is great because the extreme amount of salt floats your body. Not sure what it does to your eyes and skin though.

Jack Shellac

Lieutenant Commander

Thanks for info on GSL. Using brine shrimp cysts to feed prawns in Asia particularly struck home, since Asian imports of farm raised shrimp are killing local shrimp industry [Trawlers]. It's been a big news topic here for some time.

bayman

Senior Chief Petty Officer

As to the color of the lake I don't have much additional information. There are a few retaining ponds next to the lake which are various colors - primarily red. They are used for extracting salt and other minerals from the water.<br /><br />I visited the marina at the South end of the lake a little over a year ago. At that time there were over 300 sailboats and a few powerboats docked there.<br /><br />Most of the powerboats appeared to be fishing boats rigged specifically for catching the brine shrimp. The shrimp were very thick in the water at the marina.<br /><br />They say it is very popular for sailing because the winds are good and there are very few boats for the size of the lake.<br /><br />There was a nice wide ramp for launching boats. Just make sure you have a motor flusher if you ever go there! I believe each slip comes with fresh water to rinse your boat and engine with.<br /><br />- bayman