Great Lakes Fishing

Offshore22

Cadet
Hey all you Big Lakes fisherman. What fish out there give the best fight? How big do they get? Do you troll with live bait/lures? What kind of tackle do you use. Would you recomend taking a fishing trip there?<br /><br />Offshore 22

roscoe

Supreme Mariner
Re: Great Lakes Fishing

I used to fish Lake Michigan, out of Milwaukee.<br />Salmon, lakers, brown trout, walleye, and northern. Theres a reef inside the Milwaukee Harbor, that hold some nice walleyes. Rarely ever saw anyone fishing for them.<br /><br />Smallmouth, walleye, northern, musky, perch, and salmon in the Green Bay area. There are some huge 2# perch, if you can find them, but their numbers are way down.<br /><br />Went to Erie for walleyes once. On a charter, parked on a reef area and jigged. Not my kind of fishing.<br /><br />Best bet for 5-15# salmon or trout is to follow or hire a charter. Downriggers and good sonar are must haves.

mellowyellow

Vice Admiral

I live about halfway between lake erie/ontario.<br />you got everything to 10-12" perch to big lakers<br />and salmon. I fish lake erie mostly for smallmouth<br />and ontario for trout/salmon. you name it, you<br />can prob. catch it up here, even a 50+ " muskie<br />or even bigger sturgeon.

Offshore22

Cadet

Do muskies put up a good fight. Do you use light tackle?<br />Offshore 22

rc581

Petty Officer 2nd Class

what great lake are u planning on fishing.superior is good for lake trout, ave about 8 lbs. also good for coho, steelhead and some kings.... also fish huron for the kings in august.. they generally run about 18 to 25 lbs with occasional 30 pounders. good luck, i hope you enjoy your trip, and the fishing.....bob