Great Circle Tour?

NFI

Recruit
anybody done the great circle tour and some good stories???

Link

Rear Admiral
Re: Great Circle Tour?

Well.. first Welcome to iboats.. <br />I live under a rock and dont get out much.<br />What is the Great Circle Tour?

alden135

Lieutenant Commander

Originally posted by Link:<br /> Well.. first Welcome to iboats.. <br />I live under a rock and dont get out much.<br />What is the Great Circle Tour?
ditto

SpinnerBait_Nut

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

Dang, I thought I was the shut in here.<br />Read on friends.<br />_______________________________________________<br />The Great Lakes Circle Tour is a designated, scenic road system connecting all of the Great Lakes and the St. Lawrence River. The Circle Tour, established by the Great Lakes Commission in cooperation with its eight member states and the province of Ontario, promotes travel and tourism along the shores of "North America's Fresh Coast." Among thousands of places of interest, the Great Lakes Circle Tour showcases the world's largest body of fresh water, its most famous waterfall and other unique natural features ranging from magnificent dune-lands to majestic cliffs. Whether you are camping at one of the many national, state or provincial parks or enjoying the symphony in an historic, urban district, the Circle Tour can accommodate a spectrum of experiences. <br /> <br />The Circle Tour is over 6,500 miles or 10,500 kilometers long. It encompasses individual lake Circle Tours including New York State's Seaway Trail system. The road route, marked by distinctive green and white signs, is usually the closest major road or highway to the water. Official spur routes such as the Lake Michigan carferry are identified by brown and white signs.

roscoe

Supreme Mariner

We tried doing the Lake Michigan and Lake Superior circle on our bikes, 1000 mile Iron Butt, 24 hours, but we got fogged in so bad along Lake Superior that we had to stop for almost 8 hours, then slow going for 4 more. Finally just got a hotel and made a 3 day trip out of it.

Link

Rear Admiral

Thanks Spinner<br />And that sounds like a great trip... gonna have to tell Mrs.Link about it..

Triton II

Commander

Wow, that's a big lake system. Our biggest freshwater lake is Lake Argyle about 1000 square kilometres in area. 10,500kms circumference is three times as big as the whole state of Victoria! <br /> :eek:

PW2

Commander

I've done parts of it. Lake Superior has some spectacular vistas. It is one big lake, and creates its own weather. Lake Superior Provincial park is really interesting, as is Pictured Rocks national Seashore on the Michigan side, and the Whitefish Bay lighthouse and shipwreck museum. <br /><br />But circling Lake Superior is quite a drive all by itself.

POINTER94

Vice Admiral

I have done alot of it including the carferry (very cool, but I am from Manitowoc (home port)) If you have the time and some idle cash then it is a very good trip, all kinds of different activities and environments. Dune buggies in Michigan, golf courses and resturaunts, Mac. Island, Door County, Lake Superior, boat rentals all over the place.<br /><br />I was in Traverse City last week, and Ludington, and Holland MI as well. Big Fun. It is a great program and relatively well marked. As a sales rep for michigan living in wisconsin I have seen most of it that covers those two states. I wish I had 2 months to do it all at once.<br /><br />Welcome aboard, its a great neighborhood.

bekosh

Lieutenant

He might be talking about The Great Circle Cruise around the eastern US by boat.<br />
round1.png

Bass Man Bruce

Lieutenant

SBN's got it nailed. I've been on all of Lake Michigan's tour, most of Superior and Huron, and it is a very scenic tour. I would recomend it to anyone who has the time.

deputydawg

Lieutenant Commander

Been on a few circle tours in my lifetime, some good some bad and a few I won't mention. :D But if you are in fact talking the Great Lakes Circle, definately a great adventure.<br /><br />Have done most of it, but not all at one shot. Been done in stages.<br />If your planning on it, keep several weeks free or do it in steps over a few years. There is so much to see and do if you take the time. It is a shame to miss out just to make the tour.

NYMINUTE

Captain

Done that, and still love it. We found our retirement destination on the Tour. Michigan has a killer coastline for scenery, boating, fishing, or tanning. Big Sable was a personal favorite, wifey loved Big Red in Holland. The Wisconsin coast is equal from the sunrise side. Two Rivers, Manitowac, Sturgeon Bay are all terrific. Sheboygan was impressive too.