Greasing the fittings

Shawdaddy

Seaman Apprentice
I have been seeing folks talking about greasing the gimbal bearing and the u-joints. I would really like to do mine, but not sure how to get to it. I have a manual on the way, but I would like to do it before the BIG Memorial Day weekend. :D <br /><br />2001 Four Winns Horizon 190 w/5.0GL PEFS SX Drive

KRS

Banned
Re: Greasing the fittings

Hmmm, not sure about the sx drive... someone will come along who knows.

bruceb58

Supreme Mariner

Wait for the manual. <br /><br />There is no guarantee your u-joints will have zerk fittings on them. Just pulled a "EF" series drive like yours this weekend that did not have them.<br /><br />Where did you end up getting your manuals?

Don S

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

There is a grease zirk on the stbd side of the transom shield for lubing the gimbal bearing.<br />
SX%20Zirk.png
<br />As mentioned, you may or may not have ujoint zirks or even plugs to lube the ujoints. But you do need to pull the drive, and lube the shaft splines going into the coupler, and don't forget to check the alignment while the drive is off.<br />With the alignment off, or the splines not lubericated, the coupler won't last very long. Then you will be wanting to know how to pull the engine to replace the coupler.<br />Don't forget new orings and seal rings. They only look like they can be reused.

Shawdaddy

Seaman Apprentice

Ah..thanks again guys. I just ordered a Seloc manual for now Bruce. I know it may not be the best, but it will serve me with the majority of the minor maintenance issues. I will get the good ones in time for sure. And...How much grease do I put in the gimbal bearing? I know on most zirk fittings, you pump till you see grease come out of the bearing, but I assume that I can't see the gimbal bearing.

bruceb58

Supreme Mariner

You will be able to see it. <br /><br />First rotate the bearing to see how it feels. If not rough you can proceed with the greasing, otherwise, might be time for replacement. You want to do this first because greasing the bearing first might conceal a problem.<br /><br /><br />I rotate the bearing with my fingers while another person pumps the grease gun. Grease will come out of the bearing either on the front or back of the bearing. I pretty much stop once I feel a bunch of grease coming out and I can tell the bearing is getting stiff from all the new grease in there. Not sure if I ever see grease coming out the entire circumference of the bearing or not.

Shawdaddy

Seaman Apprentice

This is gonna be a crazy question Bruce... :D <br /><br />But the only thing I can see is the zerk fitting..LMAO :p :p .....Should I be lookin inside the boat, or out in the drive somewhere? :confused: <br /><br />Man...I feel like a total retard... :p ;) :p

bruceb58

Supreme Mariner

You have to take the drive off to see the gimbal bearing. The gimbal bearing supports the u-joint yoke that gets inserted into the engine coupler. The grease gets from the zerk fitting on the starboard side of the drive into the gimabl bearing through a metal tube.<br /><br />Like I said, wait for your manual!<br /><br />And...the most important thing...read it!<br /><br />Do you own a grease gun and have marine wheel bearing grease in it?

Shawdaddy

Seaman Apprentice

Thx Bruce.. Will defo wait for the manual..I do have all the tools I could ever need or want. I build drag cars on the side. So..yep got me a grease gun, and marine grade grease.