Grease gimble joint on volvo sx leg

reel fun

Recruit
I have a 97 volvo sx leg on my boat. I generally do all of my own servicing but have always taken it in to have the leg removed to grease the gimble joint. How difficult is it to do, and what do i have to watch out for?

JB

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Re: Grease gimble joint on volvo sx leg

Moving to I/O

outboardguy

Petty Officer 1st Class
Re: Grease gimble joint on volvo sx leg

It is not necessary to remove the drive to grease the gimbal brg. There should be a grease zerk on the stb side of the transom for this purpose.Although it is a good idea to go ahead and remove drive to grease u-joints and check engine alignment.I generally put sx units into reverse and remove the three ten mm bolts holding the back cover on.Next remove cotter pin from shift linkage and remove barrel and bolt counting how many turns it takes to get the barrel off of the cable.Now pry the trim cylinder caps off and remove the e-clips and washers.Next carefully pry the rams off of the pins using a rag or other suitable protection against scratching.Now remove six 5/8 nuts ,and pull the drive from the boat. Reassembly is the reverse of removal but the u-joits are a major pain to get back through the bellows. Good luck