grease behind hub?

sdcoll

Cadet
i recently got a karavan trailer for a 12ft boat and this trailer has been sitting for 3 yrs so i went ahead and rewired it with light and replaced the tires and rims while i was at it.the hubs do have BB on them but they seem old and dirty,anyways i threw in a couple shot of grease and right away notices that it was coming out the back side of the hub? I'm thinking maybe some sort of rear seal maybe?my question is should i get new seals and barrings or is this normal? what about the BB should i replace those also(do they go bad?) or just clean them up and reuse them?i used the search bar but came up with nothing.any input would greatly be appreciated thankz

Bondo

Staff member
Re: grease behind hub?

Ayuh,... The Wheel Seals are Shot,...

I'd pull the wheels, knock out the bearings,+ Clean up all the parts....

Then you can replace whatever you find that's Bad....

sdcoll

Cadet

thankz bond-o ...are these part only available through the trailer manufacturer or can i get them just about anywheres:confused:

Bondo

Staff member

Ayuh,... Napa or about Any parts house should either Have them, or can order them....

kandil

Chief Petty Officer

Hello and welcome to iboats.Some time the nut in the center hub is not tight and that well cause the grease to come out the back.But if you find out that it is the rear seal then you need to replace it and make sure to loosen the nut an 1/8 of a turn so it is not so tight and damge your new set good luck

Barnacle_Bill

Admiral

I've always found it best to take an old set of bearings and seal with you to be sure you get the right ones.

mthieme

Captain

There's nothing worse than having to deal with this on the side of the road.
Agree whole heartedly with Bond-o the 20K;).
iBoats sells everything you need. Measure everything before shopping.

sdcoll

Cadet

thanz again for all the advice guys,I've been lurking here for a bit and found more info and tips from all aspect of boating here then anywheres else,,,,,,,,,,,,lol even found stuff about old ted williams outboard :D

boat1010

Senior Chief Petty Officer

yep... Bad seals. Very cheap and pretty eazy to replace. Most auto parts places have the parts. Check all the parts when ya have it apart. Probably best to replace everything when ya have it apart. That way you know everything is in great shape. "Spend a little money, Save a lot of time and fun" Better than being stranded along side the road!!!!

AZSenza

Chief Petty Officer

BEFORE YOU PULL EVERYTHING APART, MAKE SURE ITS COMMING FROM THE SEALS... As stated on another post some hubs (Sure Lube) circulate the grease all the way through and out a small port in the inside ctr of the hub, its easy to cunfuse with a seal leak.

Silvertip

Supreme Mariner

Don't head to a parts house and tell them you need bearings and seals for a brand XYZ Trailer as they probably won't have a clue what bearings that trailer had. Wheel bearings and seals are off the shelf items made by many manufacturers, each of which stamps them with their identifying number. Get the numbers off the bearing and the race and the parts house will be able to cross reference them to their supplier.

sdcoll

Cadet

well i did open them up and yes there shot and the grease had a dirty brown sandy look and feel to them,took all the parts out and cleaned them with gas and found that they were absolute junk, the bearing buddy's were cleaned out and washed with gas also and notice a little surface rust inside them and cleaned those with an emery cloth but the parts move freely with easy ease so ill reuse them but ill get the boot for them too,with you guys help and advise i for one wont be stuck on the side of the road do to trailer problems,:cool:the trailer was parked for a few yrs and all those parts went bad,140.00 so far and i ain't done nore registered yet :(