grease around the piston trick

ziggy

Admiral
anybody ever heard of this trick. i am just doing a valve job so the head is off my motor and i want to clean up around the top of the cylinders. all the carbon will fall down on top of the piston. the machineist i took the head to says to bring all the pistons midway in the bore and put a bead of grease around the edge of the piston and cyl. walls. that way when i clean up the loose carbon, the carbon drops down on top of the grease. to be wiped away later. i'm wondering about the grease that would be left between the piston and the cyl. that i wouldn't be able to wipe away. machineist says that little bit of grease won't hurt and will be washed away later when put together and running. anybody think this is a good idea???? or a bad idea too?? guess at this point it seems like a reasonable idea to me.

Bondo

Staff member
Re: grease around the piston trick

"Any Grease,.. Is Better,..... Than No Grease At All".........
:D Any Grease that is down between the piston,+ cylinder wall will be the Clean Grease that you applied.......<br />All of the Dirt will be on the upper most surface of the Grease........ <br />Even the process of Wiping out the Grease will probably Not Disturb the Grease down in tight...........<br />And,....<br />As said,... The Clean Grease will be burnt away in short order........<br /><br />So,.........<br /><br />Ayuh,....... That's a Very Good,... Rather Old,..... Trick ........ ;) <br /><br />It'll Also protect the machine surfaces during the time away, Not working on it....... No Rust.......

ziggy

Admiral

thanks bondo, yes, i live by yer signiture.<br /> <br />
"Any Grease,.. Is Better,..... Than No Grease At All".........
thanks for yer support with this idea cause it seemed like a good one to me too. the machinist volinteered this trick to me w/o me prompting him. and i was gonna ask the question too as i am concerened about where the carbon goes as i'm cleanin it off the top of the cyl. walls above the rings, and top of pistons too for that matter. didn't seem like a good idea to let the carbon fall between the piston and cyl. walls and sit on top of the ring. and i didn't think that the stuffin it full of rags would work to well either, but i do like this idea..<br /><br />thought i'd put a little motor oil on the cyl. walls after i get it cleaned up to help keep the rust down. head will take 10 days or so to get the deed done. thanks for the feedback.....

Bondo

Staff member

and top of pistons too for that matter.
Don't Bother......... If you Scratch a piston,..... You'll be doing More Damage than Good........<br /><br />Clean All the Gasket surfaces,+ any Loose stuff,....<br />The crowns of the pistons will be Dirtied Up again Any Way,...<br /><br />After you get it back together do the Water down the Carb Trick to Clean the piston domes if you want Clean Pistons,.......<br />
thought i'd put a little motor oil on the cyl. walls after i get it cleaned up to help keep the rust down. head will take 10 days or so to get the deed done.
Grease Does Better Longer......... ;)