Gray Foam from exhaust, should I be concerned?

Cougar_15

Petty Officer 3rd Class
I just finished putting my motor (1977 70hp Evinrude) back together after installing a new water pump and rebuilding the carbs. I put it on the muffs and fired it up and it seems to be running nice. After it had been running for a few minutes it started haveing gray foam around the prop and from the exhaust (see Pics):

attachment.php

attachment.php

While I had the carbs off I sprayed some Deep Creep into the cylinders to help decarb so I'm hoping this is just the Deep Creep and carbon residue working it's way out. What do you guys think? What else could this be? It doesn't feel like oil, when I ran it between my fingers it felt more like soap bubbles...

Attachments

• IMG_0517.JPG
    IMG_0517.JPG
    58.1 KB · Views: 0
  • IMG_0516.JPG
    IMG_0516.JPG
    70.7 KB · Views: 0

bktheking

Vice Admiral
Re: Gray Foam from exhaust, should I be concerned?

Looks like remnants of a decarb.

BSDenning

Petty Officer 1st Class

looks like unburned 2-cycle oil to me...

Cougar_15

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Thanks guys, that's what I'm hoping it is. I'm planning on changing the gear case oil this weekend and if it looks OK (no water) then I guess I won't worry about the foam...

F_R

Supreme Mariner

Agreed, it is the unburned glop (creep & fuel) coming down the exhaust and emulsifying with the cooling water. Get it out on the water and run the daylights out of it to burn all that crap out and it will be ok.

ezeke

Supreme Mariner

You have water in the oil from somewhere.