Gravity still works in South Texas

ob

Admiral
Fell off a dang ladder and landed on driveway at my moms Sunday.Landed at an angle and left heel took most of the impact.Head got a little scuffed up.X-rays and CT scan says heal bone is fractured in about 5 pieces and they didn't want to perform surgery at this time.Too risky the doctor said.Just came home last night.Got to keep the leg up or pressure starts building pretty quick.They put a compression splint on to imobilize ankle and foot.Going #2 is a royal pain.Doc says absolutely no weight on foot for 3 months.Then physical therapy begins.Got a follow up in two weeks.Possible ligament and or tendon damage but they said that that would have to be secondarily explored after the heal bone begins fusing.What a drag.First time I've ever been injured like this.I feel like a dumbass.It's a blessing to have family.They've been great.Naturally my mom tried to blame herself but I nippeed that in the bud quickly.I'll be in and out from time to time on the forums.You guys and gals be careful out there.

JB

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Re: Gravity still works in South Texas

Climbing ladders at your age, OB. :eek: <br /><br />Hope all heals well, and enjoy your rest.

Stratosfied

Ensign

Sorry to here about that OB, Will send some prayers up for your quick recovery! :)

LadyFish

Admiral

ob, sorry to hear of your misfortune. Hope you feeling better and back to 100% in no time.

Ralphy

Petty Officer 1st Class

Big Ouchie. I did same thing a few years ago and I know your pain. Busted up heel is no fun at all. Not only do you have the broken bones to contend with, but all the blood vessels pretty much explode and takes a long time for swelling to go down. Once it does pain eases quite a bit OB so just hang in there. Hope you get a PT (physical therapist) like mine. She was an old black women who acted like a drill sergeant. She had me dancin in no time :cool: Hope you get well soon.

JoeW

Senior Chief Petty Officer

OUCH! <br />Sorry to hear about your situation. How high were you on the ladder? Cheer up! Your lucky you didn't break your neck.

Xcusme

Commander

Yikes OB!! I feel your pain, (I had the same injury 10 years ago) Get well soon !!

Boomyal

Supreme Mariner

Ouch! Sorry to hear OB and at the beginning of summer too. Do they make wheelchair ramps for boats? :D Get well soon.

gaugeguy

Captain

Funny how fast we healed when we were younger. Nothing like a spill to make you feel your age. Hope you are up dancing on that wheel soon ob.

samagee

Chief Petty Officer

OUCH. I feel for you. I broke my right hand last summer. I was trying to get a bolt undone on the camper spare tire. It was wet, I slipped and drove my hand into the metal bumper on the popup camper. The doctor swore I punched someone. It was a very clean boxer's break.

Carphunter

Commander

Sorry to hear ob. Heres hoping for a speedy recovery.<br /><br />I fully expect to meet my maker one day by falling out of one of my treestands while huntin.<br />Guess there are worse ways to go. ;)

ob

Admiral

Thanks for all the kind words and comic relief ladies and gents.I was up about 9 feet or so.Wow didn't realize so many have had fractured heels before.Hey Boomyal ,I'm going to have to look into that wheelchair ramp idea.Sure don't want to end up at the Grand Canyon with all them other elderly folks in a Hoveround.That is unless they can supply me with a #12 Penn reel with enough line to reach the river. :p <br /><br />Hey JB,This sittin around takin it easy business is already getting old.3 months with no weight on it?no gardening,no boating,no golfing,no mowing,no tinkering with engines.Heck I can't even kick at the dog for snatching my sandwich without falling over. ;) <br /><br />Believe or not ,I am truly thankful that it wasn't worse.Some old boy here in Corpus lost his life doing the same thing last year.I've learned my lesson.It's great to be alive.

Bassy

Lieutenant Commander

Here's to you getting upand around soon ,ob. Hey, there are some good books out there. I'm reading the story of Seabiscuit! Amazing story and bound to get your mind off of things. Just a thought.<br />Bassy

ob

Admiral

Originally posted by Xcusme:<br /> Yikes OB!! I feel your pain, (I had the same injury 10 years ago) Get well soon !!
Hey Xcusme , Just wondering whether your heel fracture required surgery or fusion of the subtular joint between the heel(calcaneous)bone and the talus bone or whether yours just heeled in time with therapy.Just started therapy a few days ago and have considerable loss of side to side flexion as was suspected by the OS.Bearing about 1/2 weight on it now and circulation is getting better.Doc says possibility of chronic pain because of cartilage damage which may be remedied in a few different ways ,one being periodic cortizone injections with the last being fusion.Thanks for any feedback.