Grandparents of Quadruplets, Mother is doing fine

Link

Rear Admiral
Wanted to share this with you all. <br />I like cats just fine but never have had a cat adopt me before. This stray came into our lives a couple months ago. She is the only cat around here that actually can catch and kill my little squirrel buddies. So adopting her was a way of controlling squirrel damage by keeping her inside during the day and letting her out at night. Well she decided that I was her person (or slave in a cats mind) and is always at my feet or sleeping on my feet at night. Even when in the bathroom she cries until I open the door. Taking a shower no problem. She sits on the rug outside the tub and peeks in every once in while to make sure I'm still there. Needless to say I've become quite fond of her.<br />Well when she went into labor Saturday the 1st of May it got worse! Being a young cat she had NO IDEA what was happening! From 10 am until PM I had to be next to her with my hand on her or she would just scream. (I was home alone as the wife was doing her drill with the Navy that day)<br />When the first baby came out she sat up and started licking my arm like crazy! I turned her around and showed her the baby. She then started licking me again! Now I'm getting scared and am yelling not me Lick your Baby! At that point I reached over and pulled the sack apart so the kitten could breath. It just layed there for a second then went meow and Penny must have jumped three feet into the air taking the baby with her! When they both hit the floor she started cleaning it up just fine. When the second one came she just lay ed there again so I picked up the sack and showed it to her.. wham she went right into action cleaning it up. Had to do this with all seven kittens. My wife was home by the time she was giving birth to the 5th. After cleaning she was so tired we had to tie off the cord and cut it for her. By 9PM me the cat and the bed were a real mess but that was OK with us :) <br />Three were still born but Penny wouldn't have been able to handle all seven anyway. She still cleaned them up and thats just natures way.<br />The really up side is that since we helped her with all the kittens she decided that our bed was the place to keep them. So we took the bed out of the room and put down a 3 inch high mattress so the kittens could only fall off onto the carpet. And she doesn't mind us playing with them 24/7 from day one.<br />Hope you all enjoyed the story and the pics.<br />These were taken on day of birth May 1st<br /><br />Brownie: 1st born and named because like his mother in direct sun light is really dark brown not black.(Male)<br />
3308Brownie_face_small-thumb.jpg
<br /><br />Blaze: 2nd born and not sure why Elaine named her that. (Female)<br />
3308Blaze_small-thumb.jpg
<br /><br />Tabby or Tabatha: 3rd born and named because she is a Tabby. She is the runt of the group maybe 1/4 - 1/3 the size of her brother and sisters. She is our favorite. First to walk, first to open her eyes. Bad part is that we told the gal across the street she could have pick of the litter since her Tom disappeared the day we took Penny in and she likes tabby also. :eek: (Female)<br />
3308Tabby_in_Elaines_handsmall-thumb.jpg
<br />Ain't she cute!<br /><br />Screamer:Last to be born. The vet was worried about her because she was not only upside down but back wards also! She came out butt and tail first kicking and screaming! Had broken out of the sack before getting her head out! She is the largest of them all now. (Female) <br />
3308Screamer_side_small-thumb.jpg

JGREGORY

Lieutenant
Re: Grandparents of Quadruplets, Mother is doing fine

Congrats on being a Grand-dad. Therecute little buggers. And I will not make any cat jokes I'll leave that to Carpy. :p :p <br /><br />Love my 2 cats even though they can be a pain every now and then. Good luck and glad to mommies well.

SpinnerBait_Nut

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

How To Give A Cat A Pill<br />1) Pick cat up and cradle it in the crook of your left arm as if holding a baby. Position forefinger <br />and thumb on either side of cat's mouth, and gently apply pressure to cheeks while holding pill in <br />right hand. As cat opens mouth pop pill into mouth. Allow cat to close mouth and swallow.<br /><br />2) Retrieve pill from floor and cat from behind sofa. Cradle cat in left arm and repeat process.<br /><br />3) Retrieve cat from bedroom, and throw soggy pill away.<br /><br />4) Take new pill from foil wrap, cradle cat in left arm while holding rear paws tightly with left hand. <br />Force jaws open and push pill to back of mouth with right forefinger. Hold mouth shut for a count <br />of ten.<br /><br />5) Retrieve pill from goldfish bowl and cat from top of wardrobe. Call spouse from garden.<br /><br />6) Kneel on floor with cat wedged firmly between knees, hold front and rear paws. Ignore low <br />growls emitted by cat. Get spouse to hold head !!!! firmly with one hand while forcing wooden <br />ruler into mouth. Drop pill down ruler and rub cat's throat vigorously.<br /><br />7) Retrieve cat from curtain rail, get another pill from foil wrap. Make note to buy new ruler and <br />repair curtains. Carefully sweep shattered figurines and vases from hearth and set to one side for <br />gluing later.<br /><br />8) Wrap cat in large towel and get spouse to lie on cat with head just visible from below armpit.<br />Put pill in end of drinking straw, force mouth open with pencil and blow down drinking straw.<br /><br />9) Check label to make sure pills not harmful to humans; drink glass of water to take taste away. <br />Apply band-aid to spouse's forearm and remove blood from carpet with cold water and soap.<br /><br />10) Retrieve cat from the neighbor's shed. Get another pill. Place cat in cupboard and close door <br />onto neck to leave head showing. Force mouth open with dessert spoon. Flick pill down throat <br />with elastic band.<br /><br />11) Fetch screwdriver from garage and put cupboard door back on hinges. Apply cold compress <br />to cheek and check records for date of last tetanus jab. Throw t-shirt away and fetch new one <br />from bedroom.<br /><br />12) Ring fire brigade to retrieve cat from tree across the road. Apologize to neighbor who crashed <br />into fence while swerving to avoid cat. Take last pill from foil-wrap. <br /><br />13) Tie cat's front paws to rear paws with garden twine and bind tightly to leg of dining table, <br />find heavy-duty pruning gloves from shed. Push pill into mouth followed by large piece of fillet <br />steak. Hold head vertically and pour 2 pints of water down throat to wash pill down.<br /><br />14) Get spouse to drive you to the emergency room, sit quietly while doctor stitches fingers,<br /> forearm, and removes pill remnants from right eye. Call furniture shop on way home to order <br />new table. <br /><br />15) Arrange for SPCA to collect cat and ring local pet shop to see if they have any hamsters.

TwoBallScrewBall

Lieutenant Commander

Reminds me of when one of my cats had hers a year or so ago. Came home from work and I heard this strange meowing. Three were under the bed fluffy and warm and two were in the closet wet and cold but alive. I took the 2 and put them in a towel, and dried them off and warmed them up with a hair dryer. All survived and went to good homes, and they were all the friendliest things you ever saw. Mother cat was the same way, didn't care if you played with them. And wherever you put them down, she would find them and carry them back to the spot under the bed. At one point I had 9 cats in my house. Talk about a handful. Down to 2 now and that's still engouh to keep you busy!<br /><br />Have fun with those little monsters!

Carphunter

Commander

Hey jg, I think you got the wrong fella. I love cats. Its them slobbering, barking canines, that I could do without.<br /><br />I have a decent rabbit dog, (beagle of course), but I tell ya, if a dog don't hunt, I sure don't have any use for it.<br /><br />I'll say one thing, I have seen dogs eat their own feces :eek: ,............Cats try to cover theirs up. The intelligence between the species is not even debatable. ;) <br /><br />Sure are cute little felines Link. Have fun. :)

Terry H

Lieutenant Commander

Great story Link... :)

Link

Rear Admiral

Thanks guys and yes we are enjoying them while we can.<br />LOL SBN<br />and neat story Steve.

Bassy

Lieutenant Commander

From one cat lover to another. Congrats Link!<br /> I have one cat, Junior, a orange tabby, and he brings lots of joy to our lives.<br />Bassy