Grandma's apron

Bassy

Lieutenant Commander
I recieved this in an e-mail today and thought of my Grandmother in Stockton, Missouri(gone now). Yep, she wore one of these kinds of aprons. Great memories come with thinking of her. What a sweet lady. Enjoy.<br />Bassy<br /><br />Grandma's Apron<br /><br />The use of Grandma's apron was to protect the dress underneath, but along with that, it served as a holder for removing hot pans from the oven; it was wonderful for drying children's tears, and on occasion was even used<br />for cleaning out dirty ears.<br /><br />From the chicken-coop the apron was used for carrying eggs, fussy chicks, and sometimes half-hatched eggs to be finished in the warming oven.<br /><br />When company came those aprons were ideal hiding places for shy kids; And when the weather was cold, grandma wrapped it around her arms. Those big old aprons wiped many a perspiring brow, bent over the hot wood stove.<br /><br />Chips and kindling wood were brought into the kitchen in that apron. From the garden, it carried all sorts of<br />vegetables. After the peas had been shelled it carried out the hulls. In the fall the apron was used to bring<br />in apples that had fallen from the trees.<br /><br />When unexpected company drove up the road, it was surprising how much furniture that old apron could dust in a matter of seconds. When dinner was ready, Grandma walked out onto the porch, waved her apron, and the men knew it was time to come in from the fields to dinner.<br /><br />It will be a long time before someone invents something that will replace that "old-time apron" that served so many purposes.

Stumpys

Petty Officer 1st Class
Re: Grandma's apron

WOW... Now ya got me missing my grammies. All so true about Grandma's... :)

pjc

Lieutenant Commander
Re: Grandma's apron

Very sweet Bassy! My Grandmother from Moms side was pure Hungarian, and 100% loving heart. I still make her Hungarian Kolbas sausage for the Christmas Holidays in her 8 qt iron stuffer. The aroma of that sausage cooking takes me back decades to her kitchen when I was a meer tot.<br /><br />Great post!