Grade of bolts for trailer

arimatation

Petty Officer 2nd Class
I have done a search and am still not clear on what is the most agreed type for trailer use. I am talking about just regular bolts and U bolts.

Grade 5, 8, or galvanized? I have an 1985 EZ Loader roller trailer. The fasteners are pretty rusty, and I would like to adjust the trailer and replace them at the same time.

Thanks

nitsuj

Chief Petty Officer
Re: Grade of bolts for trailer

Depends on the use. Grade 8 are hard, but not suitable for everything.

puddle jumper

Captain

I would go with stainless steel. Use a grade 5 bolt where you want a bolt to bend if stressed(eg centering bolt on a spring pack). Use grade 8 bolts(in most cases over kill but the safest) for fastening two or more peaces together with a high shier stress.

my two cents

4JawChuck

Chief Petty Officer

Grade 5 for everything, the only grade 8 fastener on a boat trailer is the wheel nuts/bolts. You could use grade 2 to hold reflectors/lights and other less critical/light items.

Heavy hot dip grade 5 galvanized last the longest but are hard to find everywhere, zinc coated is what you will find in most hardware supplies and work well but will eventually rust due to the thin coating.

A good inexpensive combination is a zinc coated grade 5 bolt with a hot dip galvanized washer/lockwasher underneath for extra anodic protection near the fastener...its cheap and lasts.

Plain stainless steel 18-8 fasteners are only slightly stronger than a grade 2 bolt and the expensive 316SS bolts are not as strong as a grade 5 fastener, it would be an expensive upgrade to go stainless and I wouldn't use them on suspension or critical tongue hardware...their charpy (notch impact) ratings are not good enough for those uses unless you go significantly larger in diameter to reduce the risk.

If I had to choose one bolt, it would be heavy galvanized grade 5 for everything including the nuts, washers and lockwashers. Stay away from nyloc nuts for trailers because once they corrode internally from crevice corrosion the plastic loses its grip and they come loose. If you want long term durability a drop of blue loctite (and a lockwasher) will seal the nut and is still removable later.

kenmyfam

Supreme Mariner

Chuck you said it all. Nothing to add there !!!

robert graham

Admiral

A good hardware store is Tractor Supply, if you have one in your area. They sell a lot of heavy duty hardware for tractors and farm implements. Otherwise, Northern Tool or Ace Hardware probably will have what you need. After you get all bolted together, spray bolts and nuts with white lithium grease for protection.

rbh

Fleet Admiral

I have to go with Chuck on this one:)

arimatation

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Is what say Lowes or Home Depot carry a grade 5 galvanize?

Thanks

robert graham

Admiral

You could check there first, Ace Hardware also has a good selection of hardware. Are you replacing the shackle bolts also? Good Luck!

HappierWet

Master Chief Petty Officer

The tongue pivot on my three tilt trailers are all grade 8, as are the nut and washer on the latch. Just something to watch for.

lckstckn2smknbrls

Lieutenant Junior Grade

I used SS bolts to mount my winch post, winch, bow stop and bunks ect ect. What grade they are I don't know.

arimatation

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Well Lowes said the galvanized bolts meet ASTM A 153. From what I gather this only addresses the coating.

She believes they have no grade......... I guess I would lean to a standard non zinc grade 5 or 8 bolts and nuts?

kenmyfam

Supreme Mariner

Well Lowes said the galvanized bolts meet ASTM A 153. From what I gather this only addresses the coating.

She believes they have no grade......... I guess I would lean to a standard non zinc grade 5 or 8 bolts and nuts?

Go to an industrial fastener store. You will get what you need from some very knowledgeable staff usually. Check your yellow pages under "fasteners"
Usually cheaper as well.

arimatation

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I would like to replace all hardware at some point. But right now just a couple of keel rollers.

Thanks guys

4JawChuck

Chief Petty Officer

Yes those bolts are what most people would construct a deck or dock out of...grade 2, finding ASTM A153 coated bolts in grade 5 is typically a special order and much harder to find unless you live in a major city. This is why I mentioned using standard zinc coated grade 5's with the ASTM153 hot dip washers as a easy to find combo.

Good luck with your project.

P.S. the studs on my trailer are imprinted with metric 10.9 on the back which equates to a grade 8 SAE rating, if the bolt was marked 8.8 it would equate to SAE grade 5...your bolts may vary.

Wills03

Seaman Apprentice

Ditto on Tractor Supply. Mine sells fastners by the pound at a fraction of the price of HD or Lowes or hardware stores.

arimatation

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Found an Ace hardware store about 10 miles away that has grade 5 galvanized bolts.