Gps

saltycat

Cadet
Hi, I'm new here and I'm trying to decide between a handheld GPSMap and a fix one, the pro for a hand held are the size and built in batteries, the con for me is the size of the screen, the fix one the pro is of course the screen size, the con is that I really have to have a fix point where to put it and in a air floor inflatable is hard to come by also the need of a 12V battery and if is an external antenna I'll have to improvise some kind of a mast.
What are your suggestions or what kind of GPS do you use on your inflatable.
Thank you for your input.

Sea Rider

Supreme Mariner
Re: Gps

Better go for a handheld one, check Iboats. The mast and 12 volt battery will be a pain to secure on a small size sib. Personally use a cheap handheld Garmin grey screen GPS as don't need color, is attached to my vest, perfect to see in all weather conditions. Always carry a spare set of batteries if opting for the handheld model.

Happy Boating

ssobol

Chief Petty Officer

My RIB has a console, I have mounted a handheld GPS to it (Magellan explorist 500). The unit has a color screen which is hard on the batteries, so I have rigged it up to use external power from the ship battery if it is in the cradle. I can take it off anytime I want and use it on batteries for other things (e.g. hiking). Being able to remove it easily allows me to stow it when the boat is left unattended. This unit does not require an external antenna.

saltycat

Cadet

Thank you guys, looks that the best way is a handheld that will save me from allot of headache.
I have my eyes on a like new Garmin 76csx on Amazon with warranty under $200 do you think is a good deal? Also there is a new one but is 76cx model the difference is that this one doesn't have the altimeter feature (not that I need it) and the electronic compass and is also under $200. On both models according to Garmin website you can get 18 hours on 2 AA batteries, now I don't know if is continuous use, or may be when is idling only.
Thank you

Sea Rider

Supreme Mariner

If just boating get the most suitable for boating outs, don't know if color screens eat more battery juice eaters than grey scale screens, probably can get 18 hours on stand by mode with good quality batteries, rechargeable batts runs much less, There's a Garmin GPS 72 floating series under $ 150.00 or the cheapest of all, Garmin model eTrex H Personal Navigator under $ 100.00, if not a big issue or must have, both are grey scale screen and non map GPS for marine use ; you decide. Check Iboats, West Marine, Defender for best prices.

Happy Boating

saltycat

Cadet

Thank you Sea Rider, it has to be GPSMap with extra memory , I already have Map Source Garmin software from a friend installed on my PC with all the upgrades and I have all the way points for scuba sites for the all south Florida east coast ready to be uploaded to a GPSMap and if I can get 5-6 hours from a set of batteries will be OK and as you suggested I'll have an extra set just in case.
Thank you

saltycat

Cadet

To add to my post by chance I found that the same model of Garmin GPSMap 76cx sells for 179.99 new at WESTMARINE

Pack Rat

Petty Officer 2nd Class

saltycat

Cadet

Thank you for the input the handheld unit is doing the job but in my set up I need a independent GPS and an independent VHS radio doe to the specific of the necessity.
Thank you

I have my eyes on a like new Garmin 76csx on Amazon with warranty under $200 do you think is a good deal? Also there is a new one but is 76cx model the difference is that this one doesn't have the altimeter feature (not that I need it) and the electronic compass and is also under $200. On both models according to Garmin website you can get 18 hours on 2 AA batteries, now I don't know if is continuous use, or may be when is idling only.
Thank you

I have the Garmin 76CS. I bought it for $396... so it sounds like your getting a good deal. I bought it cause I didn't have room to mount a GPS/Depth finder combo. It works great I take it with me when I go hunting. It floats.... And two AA batteries usually lasts me 3 nine plus hour bass tournments.