GPS

Paul Witt

Seaman
Santa recently brought me a Garmin GPS for my boat. Now, I haven't found any information regarding installation. It's pretty straight forward, I'll be installing it on my center console, but I really am nervous about drilling that first hole for the power cord. Any suggestions out there? I'm trying to make the installation as clean as possible. Also, does anyone have any antenna information? I have a T-Top and Bass Pro Shops was unsure if I needed to buy a remote antenna or not.

mattttt25

Commander
Re: GPS

what unit did you get? i guess no owners manual or installation instructions? depending on the unit, you have an internal antenna or will need an external one that you probably want mounted on the t-top. it should mount easily on the console, and you're sure to find power underneith. good luck-

Paul Witt

Seaman

It's a Garmin 176. It came with the owners manual etc.....Seems like a great unit. It has it's own antenna, but I think I should pick up a external antenna to go with it. Power is not the issue, I was just looking for some advise before I drill that first hole.

lepper

Petty Officer 3rd Class

1. position it and find out exactly where you want it.. (mark it somehow)<br />2. Find out exactly what is underneath where you are drilling.<br />3. Double check what you are drilling into.<br />4. Drill the hole (after you are sure what is underneath where the unit is going)<br />5. Clean the hole up after wards... this can be done really easy by using a larger drill bit and just using your hand to turn it in the hole..<br /><br />My advice if you can't tell, just make sure you know what you are drilling into.

Troy_from _Oz

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Witt, <br /><br />What is your T-Top made out of? If it is Fibreglass it might be ok to use it without an external antenna. Even if it is metal you may get some signals from satellites overhead from reflections off your boat (is it an ally boat?).<br /><br />Try placing the GPS unit on the console (where you plan to mount it) and bring up the constellation screen. If it is showing that you are getting strong signals from some sats that are overhead - you might be alright with not having an external antenna. good luck - Troy

Paul Witt

Seaman

Thanks for the advise. The T-Top poles are stainless steel. I think I'll try it out on the lake without an external antenna first. Unfortunately we are in the middle of winter here, so it will be a few months. You must be in summer in Australia. You want to trade?

Troy_from _Oz

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Witt, <br /><br />I think I may have been a little confused with the terminology. I guess I presumed that by T-Top you meant some type of canopy arangement. If you have one - it may or may not interfere with the incomming GPS signals - depending on what its constructed out of. Quite a few C-consoles have them here as it can be soooo hot! ;) <br /><br />Id think about trading my boat with ya - but deffinately not the weather :D <br /><br />cheers - Troy

Boatist

Rear Admiral

Witt<br />For a small unit like the Garmin 176 You can go to Radio Shack and get the Double Sided foam tape and stick unit down for a trip or two until you are sure antenna works good at that location. Then just mount with two screws or bolts.

Paul Witt

Seaman

Troy, I'd never trade my boat, but right now it's 20 degrees here. Please tell us all what the temperature is there.<br /><br />Your right about the T-Top. Standard one with canvass on the top.<br /><br />I think I'll take the advise and temporarily mount the unit. Then freeze my ass off and go try it out this weekend.

Troy_from _Oz

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Witt, <br />I hate to do this to ya ;) <br /><br />Yesterdays temp was about 98<br />At the moment its 95 I think<br />and tomorrow its meant to be a cool one at around 91 :D <br /><br />Good luck with mounting the GPS. :) <br /><br />Cheers - troy