GPS versus compass

Pack Rat

Petty Officer 2nd Class
I plan on running on Lake Superior which is extremely cold during the summer
(around 50F) and it get's a weird 30' fog bank that can engulf you at any time. In my old Zodiac I had jury rigged a compass (crudely) that worked pretty good I thought since I could hold a course between the islands (Apostles Islands have 22 islands) and not head out into open water.

5068118401_213d0c8c64_o-1.jpg

5070064298_22773882bd_o-1.jpg

Now with GPS available and the price reasonable I'm tempted to get one but to be honest I've had one before that I never could figure out how to use. It was a 500 dollar unit I got free with the purchase of a new truck. The kids figured it out and loved it but the old guy never could even with an instructional CD.

I have a superb book on Lake Superior I just purchased that has GPS points in it I'd like to use. What's a good (SIMPLE) hand held hikers unit I can punch in the GPS points into and have a simple arrow pointing me in the right direction? I'm still going to use old maps I kept and get a new boat compass since I know how to use them well enough island hopping the big lake.

I've seen what the GPS can do and I'm impressed. My buddy came across 25 miles in the fog and hit the Marina entrance dead on in the fog one day.

Sea Rider

Supreme Mariner
Re: GPS versus compass

A GPS is much better than a standard compass specially in complete fog where you do not have a known visual refference from where to start. On a GPS you can mark your departing point, cruise to whatever point you like, when returning, clik GO TO and the rest is simple, just follow the arrow at 12 o'clock position. With practice will learn how to use it.

Happy Boating

paulpost

Banned

The GPS that came with your truck is for land use only, the one that you need is a marine model, different animal, if you can get a GPSMap model will be allot better but you have to have a 12V external battery, the hand held models are OK for 20/20 eyesight.

Good luck

Sea Rider

Supreme Mariner

Garmin has the ETrex family, ETrex Personal Navigator starts from $ 100, and sophisticated models with map area like ETrex Venture $ 170 & ETrex Legend $ 250. All use standard AA size batteries. No need to have 20/20 vision, can darken the screen if you want to see better. Always carry a spare set of batteries at hand...

Happy Boating

Pack Rat

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Well...I went with the Standard Horizon HX851 hand held marine radio with GPS. It floats and has
a built-in 12 Channel GPS Receiver navigate to waypoint (200 waypoints), compass DSC functions including distress call with position, 3 year waterproof warranty.

I went with iboats.com since they sponsor this forum. I'm planning on using it on a chest pack. We use them at work and they keep the radio real secure although the antenna will be tilted a tad.

I am a little concerned about it being too advanced to use since I have had probs in the past like I stated. I'll keep you posted.

http://www.iboats.com/Standard-Hori...3261620--**********.476011659--view_id.690512

Sea Rider

Supreme Mariner

Yeap, if antena bothers when hunged at neck, better strap cord if sufficient long to your life jacket and held it on hand specially when crusing with no visual points of orientation, read complete manual for plain theory understanding and make short cruise examples as practice...:D or if wanting faster learning, attend a professional GPS course.

Happy Boating

Pack Rat

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Here it is....

5623406124_2497891996_o-1.jpg

And went with a kayak compass strapped up front too....

P4140015-1.jpg

Pez Vela

Chief Petty Officer

Programming and using the radio is easy. Hand your kid the Lake Superior book opened to the waypoints page with the ones you want highlighted. Then hand him/her the radio's instruction manual opened to page 81 along with the radio and a $20. Come back in 20 minutes. Now you read page 84, "Navigating to Saved Waypoint." Piece of cake.

Pack Rat

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Haaaaa...I think I'm going to do just that.

jasoutside

Supreme Mariner

Lake Superior in general and the Apostles specifically are totally awesome places to explore! Like you, I have used only compass to this point on that big inland ocean. I am also moving into the marine GPS realm and am looking forward to the ease of navigation. I also think it's way important for the both of us to keep familiar with a compass/chart for if/when the GPS poops out, eh!

Cheers and excellent travels!

Pack Rat

Petty Officer 2nd Class

The new handheld GPS I got from iboats.com worked flawlessly. It was a 23 mile solo (one way) across Lake Superior in 2 foot waves and less. Took 2 hours and avg speed was 12 knots. It was a huge morale booster. I had the compass with nonetheless. Saw no other boats other than a couple big ocean going vessels coming in and leaving Duluth port. I gotta tell you it was scary at first!! I almost didn't do it.

Found some really cool caves on the island I navigated to (called Sand Island).

sandisland7-11025-1.jpg

sandisland7-11109-1.jpg

Luvinflatableboats

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Hi,

Our lake is about 11 miles but lots of turns etc. Last year my niece came over to visit us from her family cottage via kayak which is about 3 miles away from ours on the same lake. My wife offered her to stay for dinner and that we will take you home via boat later on. There was a fireworks display scheduled on the lake. The we was me. When the time came to take her home it was pitch black and there was no moon. To be honest I was worried pulling out of the dock. I have a Garmin Nuvi 500 which is meant for land and water and hiking but doesn't do either particularly well. I did buy a card with all the inland lakes on it so the lake is mapped out on it. After about 5 minutes we were totally disoriented and my niece who also knows the lake well had no idea where to go. There was about 20 foot of haze on the lake too. I have the GPS but never really used it for navigation. I pulled it out and plugged it in. I have the destination plugged in and also the way points. Within a few minutes we were heading for the cottage and for the first time relied solely on the GPS to get us to our destination. The GPS actually did it. We arrived. I must admit I was scared. I used the GPS to get home as well and once I relied on it and looked for the flashing beacons that were marked on it I was OK. From that day on, I feel a GPS is an essential tool.

sasto

Captain

That's worth the price of the handheld to me! Good pics, Pack Rat.

Luvinflatableboats

Petty Officer 3rd Class

That's worth the price of the handheld to me! Good pics, Pack Rat.

Hi All,

Frankly my underwear had some brown staining after the ordeal. It was the first time that I had no choice but to look into a little screen and move the steering wheel where it told me to. Intrinsically I knew it would work but always trusted my eyes before a "device". I would suggest to get a boating GPS for water applications. The Nuvi 500 is OK but not the best however it definitely does do the job and quite well.

D.

high'n'dry

Petty Officer 2nd Class

GPS is really simple. but, I would suggest that you go into the menu and select track/course up vs North up on the display. A GPS does not eliminate the need for a compass, you navigate by GPS but you steer by compass.

JR

Pack Rat

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Thats what I had it set to...here's some more pic's of the caves. I paddled right inside them.

sandisland7-11173-1.jpg

sandisland7-11162.jpg

sandisland7-11193-1.jpg

dwco5051

Commander

Hi All,

Frankly my underwear had some brown staining after the ordeal. It was the first time that I had no choice but to look into a little screen and move the steering wheel where it told me to. Intrinsically I knew it would work but always trusted my eyes before a "device". I would suggest to get a boating GPS for water applications. The Nuvi 500 is OK but not the best however it definitely does do the job and quite well.

D.

A lot like flying by instruments. The seat of your pants is telling you one thing but everything you learned is telling you to believe what you see on the dash. You gotta have faith!

Sea Rider

Supreme Mariner

A lot like flying by instruments. The seat of your pants is telling you one thing but everything you learned is telling you to believe what you see on the dash. You gotta have faith!

Yeap, must add, keep a spare set of batteries at hand...just in case.

Happy Boating