GPS mounting location?

coby-5

Seaman Apprentice
i have a humminbird GPS receiver for my matrix unit. I have heard mixed revues on locations for mounting......some say that it will receive fine thru fiberglass.I'm wanting to mount it under my dashboard if thats the case...any and all suggestions would be greatly appreciated

Triton II

Commander
Re: GPS mounting location?

Do you mean the actual antenna or does the unit have a built in antenna? Most GPS antennae can receive through glass, less well through GRP and not at all through metal. If it's a separate marine antenna it's most likely designed to be mounted on the superstructure... like this.<br />
GPSantenna.jpg
<br />The model number you have helps with this kind of enquiry, so I'm stabbing in the dark a bit here.

islandboat

Petty Officer 2nd Class

If you just want to mount the gps antenna out of site and out of the way, mounting it under fiberglass will work. Careful not to mount it under metal such as gauges or large windsheild frames. I glued mine inside of the electronics box, under the T-top. Works fine and less things to hang tree limbs on while towing.

coby-5

Seaman Apprentice

thanx trophy...i still think i will try it out before i make it permanent...and like you say,less things to hang tree linbs on !

coby-5

Seaman Apprentice

thanx trophy<br />i mounted it under fiberglass at stern and it works great...even in my garage<br />I love this forum,you guys are the best! ! !

Triton II

Commander

Glad it worked out for you! GPS is such a fantastic safety feature around here (rugged coastline and a BIG ocean). Can't put my antenna under anything, my boat is all aluminium so I'll just have to avoid "hanging it on a tree limb!"