GPS Hook up to DSC Radio

bucksaw

Seaman Apprentice
Could anyone tell me ,if I can hook up a cheap Garmin Hand held GPS to my Uniden Solara DSC Radio. And what Garmin hand held will work.

ken52

Petty Officer 1st Class
Re: GPS Hook up to DSC Radio

I don't believe a handheld will work because you have to hard wire in the nmea transmit out and receive in connections to each device.

bucksaw

Seaman Apprentice

Ok thanks, I wasn't sure if it could be done or not. So maybe someone could tell me what i need for a GPS for it to work. It's a Uniden Solara Radio with DSC. I might as well have it hooked up. Thanks if anyone can help me out on this.

AguaSki

Chief Petty Officer

Yes, you can do this. You don't mention what Garmin handheld you have, but I suspect you are inquiring about what is nearly identical to my set-up. I also have the Uniden Solara DSC and it is connected to a very old Garmin eTrex Venture. For reference, the Venture has a B&W screen in a green plastic case. To do this you will need a data cable. You can improvise with the cable that came with the GPS unit, or you can order a new cable. Garmin's website offers most cables, but you can sometimes get a better deal at Amazon or Ebay. The cable I ordered from Amazon had exposed wires to connect to the VHF radio along with a power plug. With this data cable I don't have to worry about batteries in the Garmin. Best thing I ever did. I think it is silly to own both a GPS and DSC VHF and not have them connected together.

bucksaw

Seaman Apprentice

Sorry, it's an eTREX H Handheld. It and the Radio are brand new. Thanks for the Info. I have seen different ones, say they have hooked them up. But I could never find anywhere where it told me how. I do thankyou all for the Info