GPS antennas

Paul Witt

Seaman
Any advise on GPS antenna. I have a Garmin 176 and would like to install an external antenna. There seem to be 2 types. Either the small square type, or the mushroom type. Which would be better for my purpose. I have a 19 foot Sea Pro center console.

Reel Appeal

Chief Petty Officer
Re: GPS antennas

There is probably some other difference in those two antenna's besides their shape.Make sure the antenna is compatable with your Garmin 176.One may be WAAS ready,the other may not.I have the Garmin 162 with an external mushroom.

Boatist

Rear Admiral

Hatteras<br />All the antennas are WAAS as WAAS uses the same frequency. The GA29 or GA29F are the same antenna with different mounts and 30 feet of cable. The square one has 8 foot of cable and portable mounts, like stick to the window also uses less power if running on internal batteries. I would go with one of the GA29 models if you need it. You could also move your regular antenna to the outside, with a BNC jumper.<br /><br />Is the internal not working well. In your location can only get one of the WAAS Satellites.<br />You can get WAAS Satellite #35 (AOR) Atlantic Ocean Region over Equator at LAT 55 degrees west.<br />You can not see #47 POR at Lat 180 west. Are you having trouble receiving Satellites??<br /><br />New software just came out for your unit April 3 check the link below. I just ungraded my GPSMAP 76 and it changed from 500 waypoints to 1000.<br /><br /> http://www.garmin.com/support/download_details.jsp?id=163

Paul Witt

Seaman

Thanks Boatist. I have a 19 ft center console with a T-Top. The unit is mounted on top of the center console. I seem to only get a accuracy of about 30 ft. I would really like to have a better accuracy. I was hoping by mounting an external antenna, this would happen. They do offer some antenna's on ebay that are less expensive than the name brand Garmin models. I have the unit wired into the boat, so battery power is not an issue. It seems like the small square units would offer a cleaner installation than the mushroom type. I hadn't thought about relocating the antenna that came with the unit. I would have to come up with a way of mounting it to the t-top.

gss036

Commander

I also have a 176C w/Bluechart and 17-30 feet is about the best I can get also, even holding in my hand outside. I have mine hard wired and also use rechargable AA batteries when w/ a friend.<br />I have only been able to pick up WAAS here in Northern Puget Sound a rare occasions. I still depend on my Loran for pinpoint accuracy in the islands as 30 feet is just acceptable in some of the real narrow passages we have. I will be interested in seeing what you end up doing and if accuracy is increased w/ an external antenna.<br />I had my unit back to Garmin in November because of corrupted software (according to Garmin) and they updated mine at that time, hopefully with the lastest up date. They had a new/updated chart chip but wanted $80.00 to exchange them.<br />I have never tried to do a computer update online, suppose one can do that if they have the expertise.

gss036

Commander

Boatist, how does one figure out what version / which up date number in on the unit?<br />They wanted me to try an online update for my corruption, but not being really savvy on the programs and my old 1997 PB computer,(also I do not have a WINZIP program that I am aware of) I did not attempt it. They did a 3 day turnaround, so worked out great for me.

JAZZedBW

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Hatteras,<br /><br />My dad just bought a big GPS Unit with the transducer and everything. We have to install it yet. I am his son but a I really don't know a lot about gps's.<br /><br />For instance, Can you hook up a GPS to the radar? or hook them up to twin 9-DB Antennas? A little information on this GPS unit will help me out in the future. Thanks a lot:)<br /><br />JAZZ ;)

Paul Witt

Seaman

gss036, this is the instructions right off the download.<br /><br />To view the software version, complete the following steps: <br /><br />1.Press the Menu key twice to access the Main Menu. <br />2.Select the System tab ( Systm ), and press Menu. <br />3.Select the System Information option and press Enter. <br />4.The software version will be displayed on screen.

Paul Witt

Seaman

Jazz, GPS uses it's own antenna, and is not the same type of system as radar. Look up GPS on your search engine. There is all kinds of information out there to read about. Look up the Garmin web site, they have some good information too.

gss036

Commander

Thanks Hatteras junkie,<br /> It looks like I have version 2.08. I looked at 3.10, doesn't appear to be anything I need to worry about, mine seems to do what I need at the present. I use the tide charrt and it gives me my local time. Thanks again.

Boatist

Rear Admiral

Hatteras<br />One more question is WAAS Enabled in your unit?? I know my unit came with WAAS Disabled and each time I have upgraded software was disabled after. My unit is a GPSMAP 76 so a little different than your unit but when seeing WAAS will say "3D Differential Location". Also all the Satellites that are corrected will have a D put on them on the satellite page. The very best can do is 3 meters or 10 feet. My unit after being on 10 minutes is usually in the 18 to 30 foot range also. I do not expect better than that. Every product I have ever bought has not reached the as good as spec. Like up to 3 meters. I still use my Loran C as have so many waypoints on it. My GpsMap 76 I got to start learing my Loran C Waypoints and as a Backup. Also in case go fishing on a party boat to capture locations fished and for hiking. Some day will buy a bigger fixed Color GPS for boat. I feel 30 feet is very good. Still hope you will come back and tell us how much difference it makes.

Boatist

Rear Admiral

Jazzed<br />Gps has it's own antenna but can be interfaced to your Radar and Radio. It would not use your 9DB antenna directly but instead give your location to the radio for the automatic distress should you use it to contact the Coast Guard. You must have a very large boat to use 9DB antennas as they are very dirrectional and do not work well on Trailer boats.

Boatist

Rear Admiral

GSS<br />Looks like you got info you needed. The upgrade very easy and I wanted to do at least one time before unit went off waranty just to make sure works. With the older versions have ro reload all your waypoints. If you do not have WinZip can download for free allover. I think there support is very good.