GPH gauge

badfish888

Seaman Apprentice
Has any one here added an after market gallons per hour gauge. I think it will help trying to find the "sweet spot" my boat is most efficient at.

Silvertip

Supreme Mariner
Re: GPH gauge

The gauge is called a fuel flow monitor. Depending on the type, it can tell you instantaneous fuel flow rate, average for the trip, total fuel used, fuel remaining, etc. The term is also "most economical". Economy and efficiency are two different measures. An engine is most efficient at wide open throttle -- meaning it is delivering maximum power on the fuel being consumed. Best fuel economy however occurs at much lower speed & rpm (in other words going the farthest on a given amount of fuel). For most engines that would be at hull speed (off plane).

79Merc80

Senior Chief Petty Officer

I use a "FlowScan" It gives a digital hour meter, Digital Tach, GPH being used, and Total used. There is a model that interfaces with a GPS that will give you MPG.

Attachments

• SANY0103.jpg
    SANY0103.jpg
    152.7 KB · Views: 0

steelespike

Supreme Mariner

The difference between a good cruising speed and a perfect cruising speed is so small you would need a flow meter
to tell the difference.

toolman99

Seaman Apprentice

I just wired in an merc eco monitor on my new merc 90 4s, it will be a month or so before I get to try it but according to the docs it does exactly what you want plus a ton more. I have mine wired to the fuel sender and gps so it will give Gal/hr, mpg as well as fuel range.

dingbat

Supreme Mariner

The difference between a good cruising speed and a perfect cruising speed is so small you would need a flow meter to tell the difference.
The difference between the most and least economical cruise speed isn't worth the cost of the meter unless you’re constantly travel long distances.

79Merc80

Senior Chief Petty Officer

I think it's well worth the cost of the meter to not have to guess how much fuel I have in the tank using a fuel gauge, and more than worth the cost compared to being towed.

Craig