gp800 fuel problem

fatman22

Recruit
Guys,I have a 1998 GP800 that is hard to start(2 years ago I installed a primer kit but its not starting the engine like it originally did). After starting the first time,it's always run fine and restarted every time. But now when I get to about 26-30 mph, it falls flat on its face. It never dies completly but sputters badly and won't go any faster. I installed a new fuel filter but that has'nt helped. I took the fuel cap off and it does'nt have the pressure buildup that it did last year. The fuel cap gasket has a piece of it missing,about a half inch. It's always had a lot of pressure when you take the cap off. From reading my repair manual, I'm beginning to believe it's the fuel cap gasket and the check valve. Does anybody have any suggestions?

pps216

Cadet
Re: gp800 fuel problem

check engine compression, verify the powervalves are working properly, pull and inspect the carbs.

Jeff Walkowiak

Lieutenant Commander
Re: gp800 fuel problem

bypass the fuel selector switch,, go directly to the reserve pick up on the fuel tank,, also check for any loose hose clamps on the suction side of the fuel system,, carbs are probably in need of a rebuild,, there are internal filters that get clogged up and the diaphragms get brittle and need replacing .