governor? on 115HP

2MADAKAT

Petty Officer 2nd Class
My 1990 115 ETLN has been recently rebuilt. The prop put on was a 21 pitch and I am told I should have a 17" or 19" pitch instead. When planing the boat, I was also told to trim the motor higher up, on my trim guage, that registers at the halfway mark.<br />Anyways, when the motor gets up to 4000RPM, it starts to shake a little, and then the rpm's start dropping back to around 3000 all the while acting like it is choking. Put it back in nuetral and I am good to go up to 4000rpm again.<br />Is there a governor? on these motors? Am I trimming it too high? I have heard there is a safety device built-in to keep these motors from revving too high. Any ideas?

bigbrownbuku

Master Chief Petty Officer
Re: governor? on 115HP

there is but it hits at around 6200 rpm. <br />what kind of tach? if non genuine is it setup right.<br />are you running the 21 still?<br />are there any alarms during this condition?<br />trim the boat so as not to bow steer or porpoise, the trim guage is just an indicator

2MADAKAT

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Re: governor? on 115HP

Ran the boat again last night. Managed to get it up to 4600rpm with a friend constantly sqeezing the primer bulb. Going to change the fuel pump diaphram this weekend. I am hoping a prop change to 19 pitch will pick up the rpm and speed.<br />Tach is genuie Yammie.