Gouge in gelcoat

soler

Seaman Apprentice
I was searching and didn't see exactly what I'm looking for. Big wind and rain and trying to trailer the boat resulted in a gouge in the gelcoat. Doesn't look deep. It's about 2 inches long and (pardon my ignorance) it's located on the bottom below water line, bow, on one of the ridges. Not sure what those ridges are called. Can't take a pic until Monday 'cause it's at the shop. Going to get estimate on Monday. Can I fix myself? Or, how much might a gelcoat guy charge for this? I'm just thinking ballpark here. Thanks.

SOLER

AZSenza

Chief Petty Officer
Re: Gouge in gelcoat

The ridges are called strakes. Its not hard to repair, make sure there is no damage to the hull especially on the inside. The glass can flex and break with no apparent damage to the eye. Anyway, there are gel coat repair kits. I like the ones that are white and purchase the tints for my boat ( my gel coat is white with off white and tan accents). you mix it up and apply it to a prepared surface, in layers if you have to to build it back up to above where it was, then sand it back down to the right shape and buff it out with fine sand paper then buffing compund. A decent repair will be very hard to see.

Bamboo

Seaman
Re: Gouge in gelcoat

Marine-tex is also great for scratches/gouges/boat repairs in general and is a lot easier to work with than gel coat.