Got tickets to the two greatest concerts of my life.

JB

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
And I have the best date of my life to go with me!<br /><br />All of my life I have loved Ludwig Van Beethoven's music, and I consider his 9th Symphony the greatest composition ever. It is long and difficult, because it requires a full chorus and four vocal soloists in addition to a full orchestra. Though I have several fine recordings of it I have never heard it performed live.<br /><br />September 10th at The Myerson in Dallas. And my date will be the love of my life, my former wife. One thing we never differed on was music.<br /><br />But wait, there's more!<br /><br />No single artist of our time has thrilled me like Itzhak Perlman. He gets that spine chilling beauty from a violin that Andre Segovia does from a classical guitar.<br /><br />The following night we will hear Perlman in the same hall.<br /><br />I hope you don't have to share my taste in music to share my joy at this wonderful occasion.

D

DJ

Re: Got tickets to the two greatest concerts of my life.

JB,<br /><br />That sounds like a great time, especially if the company is right and it sounds like it is.<br /><br />My tastes in music are all over the board. I do like to see a live symphony. I especially like the big band misic of the 40's. It is a vanishing art. <br /><br />Society deems anyone that can actually play an instrument as "weird". That is a shame.

gonfishn

Commander

I sense that your steps will be a little lighter that nite JB..Not just because of the music but also because of the one you are sharing with..<br />Enjoy JB..

JB

I guess it is worth noting that the fourth movement of Beethoven's 9th, the choral movement, is Schiller's great poem, "Ode to Joy" put to music.

snapperbait

Vice Admiral

Not exactly my "cup of tea", musically speaking, but I sense JB has the same feeling I get from certain pieces of music... <br /><br />Live and in person.. Well, there's just no recording that can equal live music, of any kind... The added bonus of good company is like the topping on the sundae!<br /><br />Enjoy! :)

aspeck

Staff member

That is great news JB! Best wishes for a terrific two nights!

Kenneth Brown

Captain

Glad to hear it JB. I don't care for your style of music at all but thats why you listen to it instead of me. Glad to hear about the date also, I think shes good for you.

gaugeguy

Captain

That is great news JB, hope everything goes better than even you could imagine :)

OBJ

Supreme Mariner

I lean a little towards Mozart in classical music. I really couldn't tell you one movement from the other but it's just the sounds that I enjoy. Enjoy JB!<br /><br />And 'no' if anyone is wondering.....that's not all I listen to. ZZ Top is my favorite rock group.....and I also enjoy Big Band swing music. Big Bad Voodoo Daddy and Brian Setzer are good to listen to.

Stratosfied

Ensign

Sounds like an awesome two nights to me!! Enjoy and let us know how it all goes!

Bassy

Lieutenant Commander

I know the feeling of a piece of music done right! It just brings tears to your eyes its so beautiful. So, JB, you have great taste man! Have a wonderful time and its great to hear you'll be with your love. This will be a time to remember.<br />Bassy

crab bait

Captain

that's cool..!! it's like pink floyd an the moody blues in the same nite with a hottie.. i can relate..<br /><br />but i always had you pegged for john phillip sueza.. :) .. <br /><br />have fun my man..!! it ain't like you don't deserve it..

Peter J Fraser

Chief Petty Officer

Enjoy it JB.<br />Last weekend I had the pleasure of listening to a local Choral Group perform 'Elijah'.<br />70 voices, mixed choir all amateur singers BUT, my daughter (26) was one of the featured soloists. Soprano, man did she sound great.<br />Loved it all and I know you will enjoy your evenings.<br />One of my most memorable music events occurred many years back when our kids were both in the local youth orchestra.<br />The youth bands and choirs in our association then combined to perform Tchaikovsky's 1812 Overture for the annual concert.<br />180 musicians and choir members combined and I got to do the guns.<br />I used 2 12ga shotguns to create the BOOM of the field guns.<br />Great night, love the music.<br /><br />Good luck.<br /><br />Peter

JB

Sounds like you have had a few nights to remember, Peter.<br /><br />The 1812 is another one that just can't be recorded to sound like a live performance. I like the 12ga. touch, too. :)

tcube

Petty Officer 1st Class

JB,<br /><br />Many years ago my wife and I enjoyed a summer evening on the lawn at Wolf Trap listening to the WSO perform with guest violinist, Itzhak Perlman. Probably one of our most memorable evenings.<br /><br />Enjoy yours.<br /><br />tcube

crab bait

Captain

i wonder how many years of classical music trainin' they had to fire off those remmington 870's.. :) ..<br /><br />MAN, jb.. talk about likin' 'old school' music.. you ain't lyin'...!!

ndemge

Commander

Most enjoyable concert I ever went to:<br /><br />Powell Hall in St. Louis<br /><br />Canadian Brass with the Full St. Louis Symphony <br /><br />(I'm a trumpet player)

11 footer

Lieutenant

Thats great news, JB.<br /><br />I hope you and your date have a great time.

Peter J Fraser

Chief Petty Officer

JB<br />I used a Norinco and a Mossberg, both pumpers got the barrells too hot to touch at the finish. I used Winchester blank 12ga cartridges and with all the rehearsals (in a school hall) we had a ball.<br />The performance was in a church auditorium and we had about 900 spectators.<br />It caused quite a stir when the guns came out.<br />I cut the tops out of a couple of 44 gal oil drums and then set them together with the open ends towards each other about 12" apart strapped onto a wooden ladder.<br />Both drums were lined inside with foam rubber about 3 - 4 " thick.<br />I had a small hole 4" diam with a rubber hose protector in one drum end and this was where the muzzle was inserted to fire.<br />I had to cover the drums with an old sheet to contain the dust from the blanks.<br />The sound reproduction was near to perfect of a 6" field gun.<br />It was a blast.<br />Used about 6 packets of blanks altogether.<br />Our son was playing trumpet that night and daughter was playing viola prior to switching to the choir accompiament for the 1812.<br />It is a stunning piece of music that still puts the hairs up on the back of the neck.<br /><br />Peter

Link

Rear Admiral

Hmmm Guns, Music at the same time and in the same place? <br /><br />This can't be ALL bad! ;) <br /><br />Ok so I'm a little rough around the edges :) <br /><br />However I can enjoy your music bicariously through / by the passion in which you guys speak of it, and relate to mine. Enya, Yannie etc etc<br /><br />Not nearly at the same level ofcourse.<br /><br />I think Beethoven was even mention by Og Mandino in his book "The Greatest Miracle in the World"<br /><br />If memory serves me right (sometimes it doesn't) <br /><br />Have a great time JB