Got Smart (Found a 1977 Galaxy)

ThomasHill

Seaman Apprentice
Ok, dropped the deck boat restoration and found a 1977, 17ft Galaxy with a Mercruiser 110 I/O. They said it ran. I couldn't try it since the battery was dead and I was 250 miles away from home. The thing I do know it that it was not winterized and the prior owners were not very knowledgable about boats. So where should I start to get this boat on the water. What checks, what steps would you all suggest?
Thanks
Jack

JustJason

Vice Admiral
Re: Got Smart (Found a 1977 Galaxy)

Start by figuring out what you have. A 110 was last used in 66. In 77 it would be a 120. Not that it matters hugely because they are both 2.5 liters. But when going to order parts and such you need to know what you got.
2.5's are known to crack the block under the manifold if they are not winterized. Might as well hook up a battery and see if it starts/runs/leaks etc before you go any further.

boatguya1

Chief Petty Officer

Ok, dropped the deck boat restoration and found a 1977, 17ft Galaxy with a Mercruiser 110 I/O. They said it ran. I couldn't try it since the battery was dead and I was 250 miles away from home. The thing I do know it that it was not winterized and the prior owners were not very knowledgable about boats. So where should I start to get this boat on the water. What checks, what steps would you all suggest?
Thanks
Jack

This was not what I was expecting to read when I saw the thread title "Got Smart".

Make sure fluids are full charge batt and start on hose. Report findings and someone will tell you where to go from there.

James

Gary H NC

Fleet Admiral

Agree.....you may have another project on your hands.

ThomasHill

Seaman Apprentice

So you all would try to start it before changing fluids and such. I can do that. Charge the battery and see what happens. I hope against hope that it made it through the winter with no engine damage. We did have one real cold spell. But when I pulled the dipstick the oil looked good.
Jack