Got rear-ended on highway this morning.

Mark42

Fleet Admiral
Stupid young man (20ish) doesn't stop on the highway when everyone else did. Even worse, he was so far behind me that I was stopped for half a minute or so before the idiot hits me. <br /><br />So I get the typical slam into my seat and feel a pinch in my sholder blades and curse to myself because I just don't need a back injury. Well I don't hurt bad so I get out to check the damage on the Town Car and there are a few scratches, not much. His car has the front crumpled a little bit. I was going to skip the whole insurnace/dl exchange thing but the little pain in my neck and then a headache coming on tell me otherwise. So I ask him for his info and guess what. He can't find his D/L. Or his insurance card. He is also complaining that this is a bad week because he hit someone else yesterday. He is getting very nervous and he wants to exchange phone numbers and "do the report later". I told him it doesn't work that way. So I call 911, report the accident, and 45 MINUTES later a trooper shows up. I had to call twice to find out what was the hold up. The dispatcher screwed it up.<br /><br />The kid DID have his DL and insurance for the nice big state trooper. Funny how he couldn't find it for me. And I told the trooper that there was something fishy going on because after asking me 3 different times if we should just leave, he finally stands outside my door with a fist full of cash waving it back and forth like he wants to offer me a bribe to leave. I ignored him. <br /><br />The trooper gave me the reciept for the report and my info back and I left. The kid was still there with the trooper and I didn't see him get back on the highway in my rear-view.<br /><br />So my back hurts a bit and I have a headache that is going away since I took some Advil. <br /><br />Hopefully I won't have any problems. Hopefully the trooper got the kid on something. What a loser.

kenimpzoom

Rear Admiral
Re: Got rear-ended on highway this morning.

Bummer man, hope it all works out.<br /><br />Ken

JamesCoste

Chief Petty Officer

#1. Glad you are okay (or at least improving).<br /><br />#2. I know what you mean about those 20-something-year-old drivers. Living in Tallahassee with tens of thousands of college students, accidents are on just about every major street at least once a week or more.<br /><br />Sounds to me as if the kid needs his license revoked. With 2 accidents in two days, somebody isn't learning from his past mistakes.

D

DJ

Your "perp" will NEVER be found again. Police report, or not.<br /><br />You're (sad to say) on your own.

SpinnerBait_Nut

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

Mark, get the report ASAP and contact the guy's insurance carrier. He might run and hide, but his insurance company can't.<br /><br />Don't mess with a back injury either.<br />You might think it's fine and then whammmm, it hit's ya.<br /><br />Might want to get it checked out if it bother's ya too much.<br /><br />This is just all my .02 worth.

TilliamWe

Banned

I fear that DJ is right, but SBN may be as well. As long as you can contact his carrier & they have a policy in force, you shouldn't have too much trouble. They have to pay for resonable damages in a case where their insured's liability is reasonable clear. They don't need a verbal statement from their guy either. Your statement plus a police report should suffice.

TilliamWe

Banned

Not sure what Town Car you have, but be aware, the rear bumper reinforcement & the energy absorber can be damaged, even if the bumper cover just has "scratches" on it.

Nos4r2

Lieutenant Commander

SBN is right. Get hold of the guys insurance company ASAP. If you've got legal cover in your car insurance (do you get that over there?) get straight onto them. Get to hospital if you've got a headache and get fully checked out too. It took 3 days for my torn muscles and whiplash to come out fully after someone hit my 4x4.<br /><br />Get your car checked out properly too.

SpinnerBait_Nut

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

Not only that, but you need to report it to your insurance company as well. Get them a copy of the report to put with your file just incase the guy tries something fishy.

LubeDude

Admiral

If you hurt a little now, youre gonna hurt worse tomorrow! Thats why we pay uninsured motorist insurance.

Nos4r2

Lieutenant Commander

^^^^^^ can't agree more- I felt fine immediately after my accident 3 months back but wound up spending a month off work.

Twidget

Commander

Hope you are feeling better today Mark.<br /><br />I also hope you took the advice about getting checked out. I was rear ended once, it took a week for the full effect to kick in.

Bob_VT

Moderator & Unofficial iBoats Historian
Staff member

Stupid young man (20ish) doesn't stop on the highway when everyone else did. Even worse, he was so far behind me that I was stopped for half a minute or so before the idiot hits me. <br /><br />
Mark regardless of the person anyone of any age could have done the deed. Glad you are here and talking with us I guess that is the bottom line.<br /><br />Bob

LubeDude

Admiral

This is something that happened to me once. I got rear ended one time a long time ago, I was just sitting in the road with my right turn signal on and waiting for a dump truck to come out of a driveway so I could turn. Country road on a straightaway. I looked in my mirror and saw this car coming and figured it would stop. I kept watching the car and soon realized it wasnt going to stop. Told the wife to put her head against the headrest as we were about to get rear ended, I had that much time. Wham, got hit about 40 MPH. I got out and looked at the damage and went to look and see if the other people were OK. Car full of pot heads so stoned they didnt even know they were in an accident. I litterally had to show the driver the damage before he would believe me. The other passengers said I backed into them. The car belonged to grandma, It had no brakes and she didnt even give them permision to drive the car, It wasnt even insured to be driven, nor was the driver, nor was Grandma.

Terry H

Lieutenant Commander

I hope this ordeal gets behind you with no lasting effects...Chief ;)

Mark42

Fleet Admiral

I feel fine. I'll get a copy of the report when it becomes available. I checked out the car and there is no damage and I'm not hurt so I'm not going to persue a claim at this time. <br /><br />But then again.... Maybe I should walk into the emergency room complaining loudly of back pain and have a dozen of my inlaws (Hispanics) in tow all complaining of back pains too. Maybe I can retire. Oh yeah, it hurts when I go boating too! :D :D :D