Got any pictures of you boating as a kid?

Artpop

Seaman Apprentice
My uncle calls these pictures "screamies" 'cause you scream when you see them. Dig up those old shots and post them here! You know the one of you diving off the bow into the 55 degree water. Or your first time on one ski.

I was at my parents house over the holiday, and I found some pictures I think qualify as screamies. Pic 1 is me at age 7. I'm the one with the eyes closed, (allergic to the sun). The boat is our brand new 21' Reinell, circa 1970 Lake Tapps, WA. Pic 2 is me at age 10 maybe. Looks like the hood canal floating bridge in the background. Check out the Puget Sound sky in August. Pic 3 is my dad trying to remember where he set that other pot.

Attachments

• 1970.jpg
    1970.jpg
    60.1 KB · Views: 0
  • 1973.jpg
    1973.jpg
    48.2 KB · Views: 0
  • 1973b.jpg
    1973b.jpg
    74.1 KB · Views: 0

UnregisteredUser

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Re: Got any pictures of you boating as a kid?

I can see this thread turning into a wonderful walk down Memory Lane. For me, those memories are all I have. Just the other day my daughter asked if I had any pictures from when I was a kid, sadly I don't have very many. All we could find was a picture of me with my first fish, and then the ones taken in Basic Training. Very huge gaps in photo album.

We went to the lake nearly every weekend for years, my brother and I even lived on a houseboat during the summers with my grandfather in our teenage years. It was on Lake of the Ozarks outside of Camdenton, MO.

My guess is with both my parents going through three divorces each, any pictures we had just ended up in the other households. :(

My other guess is that with me being a photographer, I just always ended up behind the camera instead of in front of it. Which is the case more often than not still today...

Artpop

Seaman Apprentice

I can see this thread turning into a wonderful walk down Memory Lane.

Thanks thirsty, thats what I had in mind.

OK, If nobody wants to make that trip out to the garage to fetch the photos... TELL us about your childhood boating days. Or maybe your favorite boating movie as a kid? Poseidon Adventure? :D

Tyme2fish

Commander

There are names for people like you, Artpop, but I cannot repeat them on this family forum.

Here you are a lowly Cadet with 12 posts and you force me to look up some old photos and scan and crop and etc.!!:mad: :D

What a trip down the old memory road I have just taken.

Here are two photos. Photo one was one in which I was taking a picture of my first cycle.The cycle was a Honda Super 90. Yep a big old 90 cc's. My dad's old boat is in the backround.

Picture two is me in the late 60's or early 70's with a crappie from Strawberry Lake in Minnesota. Dad and I would travel there each summer from northern Indiana to fish.

Attachments

• Honda and old boat.jpg
    Honda and old boat.jpg
    60.2 KB · Views: 0
  • Strawberry Lake crappie.jpg
    Strawberry Lake crappie.jpg
    15.1 KB · Views: 0

Artpop

Seaman Apprentice

Here you are a lowly Cadet with 12 posts and you force me to look up some old photos and scan and crop and etc.!!:mad: :D

Uhhh.... sorry. :redface: I'll go back to my rock now.

Real nice crappie though. :)

Tyme2fish

Commander

Come on members. I know there are a few "grey hairs" here who have some real screamies to post.

I think Artpop has come up with a nice thread and I hope others will contribute to it.

So let's get to work and dust off some of those old photos. You may post a tin-type if they are that old!!

Limited-Time

Vice Admiral

Hay T2f.................The Smithsonian called, they want their motorcycle back.:p:p;):D:D

mthieme

Captain

Darn, I'm gonna have to ask dad when I see him Thursday.
He got bit by the shutterbug when I was a preteen....he's sure to have something. This could be scary.

jbjennings

Captain

that bike is AWESOME!!! Makes me want to go camping all loaded up and such. This is a cool thread---wish I had a scanner and I'd try and contribute. Of course, I'm so much more photogenic than you guys!!;):D

Tyme2fish

Commander

Hay T2f.................The Smithsonian called, they want their motorcycle back.:p:p;):D

If I recall correctly, that Honda Super 90 was bought new in 1966. If the wind was right and I was going downhill I could get her up to 60mph!!:redface:

that bike is AWESOME!!! Makes me want to go camping all loaded up and such. This is a cool thread---wish I had a scanner and I'd try and contribute. Of course, I'm so much more photogenic than you guys!!

That's about as loaded as that bike could handle. I was living in northern Indiana at that time and was going to camp out at Indiana Dunes State Park for the weekend. Wow, only 42 years ago.:eek:

Laddies

Banned

1952, myself and the Chris Craft Challenger I won at the Petoskey 100 year centinial. Sorry guys I don't know how to do a thumbnail.
1955a.jpg

Limited-Time

Vice Admiral

Laddies, there's something wrong with the color in your picture.:eek: You may want to check the settings on you scanner and computer. ;);):D:D:D

aspeck

Staff member

All my pictures are on film strip ... AFTER I make a phone call for Bob, and one for Gary, and get a picture of my T/A for 57Whitehouse, I will have to work on this project ... great, it is not enough to have a "Honey Do" list, now I got an "iboats Do" list also ... :eek:;):p:D

180shabah

Rear Admiral

Sorry guys I don't know how to do a thumbnail.

Don't worry about it, this method works better for most users, but really annoys the dial uppers though...:)

Artpop

Seaman Apprentice

1952, myself and the Chris Craft Challenger I won at the Petoskey 100 year centinial. Sorry guys I don't know how to do a thumbnail.

Great shot of the Chriscraft. Looks like you are ready for a long trip with that gas can. When I think Chris, I think of a runabout with lots of brightwork. :)

As far as thumbnails go. I found it easier to use the attachments button on iboats, than to upload the pic to another site and then paste into the iboats post.

Here is how I did it. When you hit the "post reply" button, or the "quote" button, then you are taken to the “reply to thread” page. Use the attachments button in the "additional options" section of that page. It is just below the "reply to thread" section. It is a button called “manage attachments.” When you click on it, it has an interface that allows you to browse your computer for images to upload. If you use this to upload a picture, then the iboats software will automatically add a thumbnail to your post.

Experiment here in the Officers’ club.
Hope that helps, and makes sense, and makes posting pix easer for you… or anybody for that matter.

And... what's a dial upper? :D

Last edited:

Tyme2fish

Commander

Laddies, I bet you were one proud youngster when you won that boat!!:D

Do you remember if you had to pay taxes on it?:mad:

Laddies

Banned

T2F, I only won the engine the boat belonged to a friend of my dads, didn't pay any tax on the engine just picked it up and got my picture taken. That should get the IRS knocking on my door. I used it 5 or 6 times in the first 2 years and finally traded it for a set of disks that dad needed for the farm, times sure change don't they.