goose head hoses?

Hey to all..
I have a 1986 bayliner capri with a 275 penta drive and have 2 hose coming out of transom plate on both sides left and right that have gone bad they look like they tapper off like gooseheads what are these hose and for what do they serve cant find no info on them any were and can not see were they lead to once the disappear in to back of boat,, any help i could use thanks.. The boat place here said i "think they are drains" but could not help...

Don S

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Re: goose head hoses?

Commonly called "Blubber valves" due to the sound they make at idle.
They are used to act as check valves over the idle relief ports in the outdrive.
They help idle rpm by letting the exhaust out early instead of going out the back of the drive.

thanks.. so do i need to replace them they have rotten off to were the disapper in boat and if so were do i find them? will water be able to come in at this opening ?? thanks for your help...

rodbolt

Supreme Mariner

they did that occasionally, no worries. try to replace them if you get a chance but its not a big deal.
later stuff simply had a hole.

ok found them 2 counties over,,lol 50 a peice,, they have them listed as elbow hoses so today going to try really try to do took engine out and now i see it wont be easy tranny in way this should be fun...