Goodwrench Engines

Martin Leaney

Seaman
I can get a Goodwrench engine from a GM dealer for a few hundred bucks over the cost of a rebuild - are there any issues with getting an new engine that was originally meant for a 1985 GMC van and putting in my boat (1985 Chris Craft 260 with cracked 305).<br /><br />cm

Mercathode

Petty Officer 1st Class
Re: Goodwrench Engines

Captain<br />I put a P/U 4.3 in a Thundercraft with a Mercruiser I/O we just changed the water-pump and freeze plugs. There are some Goodrich Engines built in Mexical I think are not reall good you may inquire as to where it is made!

flashback

Captain

hey capt. if it's a short block and you can re-use all the components from your old engine, then yes it's a good option, but you absolutly do not want to use automotive components such as (fuel pump, carb, water pump, freeze plugs, alternator to name a few}, you would be asking for more trouble than you want. Its a safety issue..

Bondo

Staff member

Go for It........<br />No reason Why Not..........

Martin Leaney

Seaman

I'll thank everyone here as well - I can now make an informed decision!<br /><br />cm

Martin Leaney

Seaman

One wore question - do the 'auto' blocks come with a drilled and tapped holes for the drain valves?<br /><br />Oh, and one more... Are the head gaskets made of a different material on a marine engine? I heard (somewhere?) that the head gasket should be made of a metallic substance.<br /><br />cm

dick

Chief Petty Officer

Yes they do and they are in the same spot as the old ones.<br />As far as the head gaskets marine ones use stainless steel instead of regular steel for the crush material.Some engines today only use stainless so this may not be a problem.If your engine is fresh water cooled it won't matter if there not anyway because the raw water will never come in contact with the gaskets, just the anti-freeze.

Martin Leaney

Seaman

our boat has an open cooling system - fresh water pumped from the lake - no anti-freeze - so I will need the SS gasket crush material.<br /><br />Thanks

Bondo

Staff member

Muddy,<br />The Head Gaskets that are installed in a GM Goodwrench 350 Chevy will run Forever, in Your application......<br /><br />All the Drain Holes,+ Bolt Holes will be the Same......<br /><br />You state you have "(1985 Chris Craft 260 with cracked 305)"......<br />Well,<br />A 260 is a 350cid. 5.7l engine.........<br />A 305 is a 5.0l......<br />If your's is a 260hp, 350cid., 5.7l, Replace it with the Same Engine........<br />If you have a 305cid, 5.0l, Replace it with a 350 AnyWay..................<br />Everything Still Bolts Right Up...........

BinLurkin

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Bondo, I have a 1978 Mercruiser with a 305 engine in it & what I thought was a 260 outdrive. I can't find any numbers on it anywhere. I also have a 1979 Mercruiser with a 350 engine in it, & a for sure 260 outdrive unit. I just did the bellows & u-joints on them both & they seem to be the same to me. The parts I replaced were anyway. What do you think? I can't find any numbers on it anywhere. Do you think it's a 260 also? Thanks, Bin.

D

DJ

BinLurkin,<br /><br />The outdrive "type" would be the same for a 305/350. The "260" you mention is a horsepower rating for the 350 (5.7 L) cid engine.

Bondo

Staff member

Bin,<br />Both of your Drives are/should be Mod.1s........<br />Or "R" drives, or Pre-Alphas........<br />3 names, 1 drive.........

Martin Leaney

Seaman

I have bought a early 80's reman 350 block with NEW heads for a good price through a friend at Distributor pricing. He is also supplying me with a RV cam that we will install before the engine goes into the boat this weekend.<br /><br />Thanks for all the info and I will let you know how the process went when we are done.<br /><br />Cpt Muddy<br /><br />Bondo - model name of the boat is Chris Craft 260 (used to be 253) the engine was a 305 with 230 hp.

Bondo

Staff member

Sounds like you've got a Good Plan..........<br />Good Luck......

Martin Leaney

Seaman

When I was thinking about a 350 GM crate motor I cam across some info on an engine from GMPP.<br />Apparently there is a big block 454 bored & stroked (?) that makes 700 hp right out of the crate! Right from your Chevy Dealer.... Comes complete with evrything - just bolt in. <br /><br />Not sure of the price but that sounds like a sweet motor. Most custom race engine builders have trouble getting that HP on street gas.<br /><br />Now if I just had a place I could use one of those...<br /><br />cm

Martin Leaney

Seaman

We have got the remanufactured engine with the new heads (& installed an RV cam), swapped all the parts off the old engine and installed it in the boat. Everything went according to plan and the new engine fired up in a matter of seconds! <br />We have run it twice (with muffs on/water flowing) up to running temperature then shut it off and let it cool down.<br /><br />We will probably try and get it on a lake tomorrow and do a break-in. We will get it warmed up and do a couple of short, slow runs down the lake. <br /><br />Is there anything else that I should do or be watching for during break-in?<br /><br />CM

Bondo

Staff member

"Is there anything else that I should do or be watching for during break-in?"<br /><br />Make Sure All the Fluids are up to Levels.........<br />And,<br />Don't forget to Chill the Celebratory Fliuds............. :D

Martin Leaney

Seaman

Well we finally had the boat out on the water and (after some timing adjustments) the new engine runs great. Probably got an extra 4-5 mph top speed with the same prop. <br /><br />Now just a little electrical issue to deal with and she'll be fixed for good... or until the next thing breaks!<br /><br /><br />Thanks for all the help.