Good Source for Trailer Axles?

Horigan

Chief Petty Officer
I'm getting water in my bearings due to poor axle surface conditions under the rear seal (see pic). I need a galvanized 2"x3" square 5200 lb axle with a 4" drop. This is for a Calkins trailer. I found that Pacific Trailers can custom build one for $280. Before I pull the trigger with them, are there any other good trailer part suppliers I should consider for this axle? I'm not finding many options on the web that meet my requirements.

Thanks in advance.

IMG_3646.jpg

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
or replace the speedi sleeve that is on the stub

ahicks

Captain
I've been using Dexter axles for just about forever. Never had a reason to change. That's not a terrible price though.

Horigan

Chief Petty Officer
Thank you! I forgot about Speedi sleeves. That's way easier than the axle replacement, brake line transfer, bleeding, etc.

There isn't a Speedi sleeve on there already (see pic of other axle).
IMG_3645 copy.jpg

Elkins45

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Can you drill a Speedi Sleeve for the grease port in a Dexter-style axle?

Elkins45

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Ask in a topic of your own not here in someone else's topic, thats considered a hijack.
My apologies, but it certainly wasn’t intended as one. Everybody is suggesting he use a Speedi Sleeve but that axle clearly has a grease port on the bearing surface that looks like it would be covered by the sleeve. Unless it can be drilled that would render the axle unable to be lubed thru the zerk and essentially turn it into a hub that could never be lubed with a grease gun. I think it’s very relevant to the OP.

dingbat

Supreme Mariner
My apologies, but it certainly wasn’t intended as one. Everybody is suggesting he use a Speedi Sleeve but that axle clearly has a grease port on the bearing surface that looks like it would be covered by the sleeve. Unless it can be drilled that would render the axle unable to be lubed thru the zerk and essentially turn it into a hub that could never be lubed with a grease gun. I think it’s very relevant to the OP.
I put Speedi sleeves on my ez lube axles.

The sleeve is paper thin. Punching the lube hole is easily done with an awl/ice pick once the sleeve is installed.

Horigan

Chief Petty Officer
Finally received the Speedi Sleeves and got them installed. They don't entirely cover the grease ports, which is expected since the seal lip needs to be inboard of the port. I could punch out the hole more fully, but I've frankly given up on using this "Sure-Lube" system. More often than not I've blown the rear seal and caused more hassle and repairs (new bearing races pressed into the hub, etc), even when being careful by introducing grease slowly and spinning the wheel. I'll just repack my bearings manually every year going forward.
IMG_3696.jpg