Good running Force 50 outboard. Model # unreadable

divco13

Seaman
I picked up a 16 ft Tri hull with ,a good running Force 50 outboard. This was a older gentleman's boat. Had to replace all the wood, as it was stored with a cover for several years.

Runs well, but I want to go thru the lower end and replace the Impeller, & bearings, The problem is the Model # is not readable, only the first three #s are there.

I know a lot of these motors are mostly the same, with a few updates thru the years,

Is it the best to disassemble, and take the parts to the Dealer for comparison ?

Bob Patterson
divco13@aol.com

Last edited:

pnwboat

Rear Admiral
Post a picture of the ignition system, both sides of the motor with the cover off. Sometimes there is a foundry casting date code on the carburetor. Should be able to get a date within 3 or 4 years which is usually good enough for ordering parts. These motors have been out of production for so long now, most dealers won't have any parts in stock and many places will not work on them. Also have to be careful of photos on the WEB of Force motor parts (actually any motor parts). Sometimes the photo is not of the actual part, but just representative of the part. You have to read the fine print to see if it's the actual part.

You should do a compression check and replace the fuel pump diaphragm and like you mentioned, the water pump impeller.

NOTE: I would advise against replacing bearings or gears in the lower unit. Too many special tools and gear shims that are no longer available. If any gears are bad, the cost is probably more than the whole lower unit. Better off getting a good used lower unit.

divco13

Seaman
No Title

Pics of the Force 50

I'll take pictures of the Carb housing post in a about an hour

Attachments

• photo239533.jpg
    photo239533.jpg
    56.9 KB · Views: 0
  • photo239534.jpg
    photo239534.jpg
    56.3 KB · Views: 0

Eddie Rivera

Petty Officer 2nd Class
i think its older than my 89 and 91. my 1989 is a 507X89B and my 1991 is a 508F91C. i tried adding a picture but it said it had too many megabites or the file was too large. that motor looks like mine except for the wiring side, the coils are different mine are blue and i dont the wires near the fly wheel either thats why i think its older in my opinion.

Eddie Rivera

Petty Officer 2nd Class
i took a lot of pictures and video and paid attention to small details would advice also against doing unnecessary things which is how i got started ( messing things up) i then came here and all these awesome guys helped me so much.

jerryjerry05

Supreme Mariner
IF????? There is no water in the lower unit.
Then you ​probably don't need to replace the bearings/ gears.
The parts can be found but I think you are doing a job that's not needed????

Replace the impeller and go boating.